Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Steve Dannenman

I don't know the guy and have never played with him, but he's a friend of a friend, and thought I'd share some second-hand anecdotes for those interested in some background on one of the big stacks heading to Day Five. Steve resides in Severn, MD (which is near Baltimore), and yesterday turned a stack that was well below average to start the day into $2.134M chips, good for 4th Place with 58 players remaining.

Unless otherwise noted, these are all posts from a friend of Steve's, taken from another (non-poker) message board I frequent:

After Day One
"Steven Danneman from Severn,MD at $55,550 in chips tied with Boyd and Lederer. I play poker at his house every tuesday."

"He went out there by himself and bought directly into the tourney. I'm hoping he cashes because he is the kind of guy that will throw a 7 day party at his house. He lives right down the street from Spalding HS."

" Actually we don't play for crazy amounts of $$$ at his house.$100 buy in single table games. Very much a social game and Steve rarely wins. He screws around a lot at the home games,but he can play good poker when he wants to do it. He is a CPA with an office in Empire Towers."

After Day Two
"Steve Dannenman is currently at $119,000 in chips which put him at around 176th place with 585 people left. 560 will get paid in the tourney. Go Steve!!

"My friend just spoke with Steve and he said Brian Haveson was right to his left all day yesterday. Steve raised Haveson and tried to steal his blind and Haveson came over the top. They go and break and Steve starts raising Haveson's 1K blind to 8K from the button. Haveson says"what are you trying to do here?" and Steve says,"Hey man you pissed me off before the break."

Day Three (Steve was seated at the ESPN featured table with Lederer, Enright, and others)

Middle of Day Three
" Steve is now at 210,000 in chips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has decided to tighten up."

From CardPlayer:
"After a flop of 5-2-2 at ESPN's Featured Table, Howard Lederer is all in against the player in Seat 9. The other player (Dannenman) shows Kh-5h (pair of fives), but Lederer has pocket aces (As-Ac). With a second pair already on the board, Lederer will win on any card but another five. The last two cards come J-J, and Howard Lederer doubles up to about $80,000 in chips."

Later in Day Three - Well Played:
Steve is up to 280K!!!!!!!

just was in a hand. A guy raised UTG to 15K and there were 3 callers. Steve is on the button with 1010. Steve calls and the flop is QQ10. Steve bet 25K and one guy calls. Next card is a K and the other guy checks. Steve moves all-in and the guy calls with broadway and thought he trapped Steve."

Before Day Four:
I like Steve's seating position. Steve still has enough chips to make most people at that table lay a hand down if he moves all in. I have not heard from him since late last night when he was at 315K and have no idea how he lost 180K.

Steve entered Day Four at $131K, good for 148th of the 185 remaining players.

Beginning of Day Four
Good news for Steve!!

just went on a run of cards. He got bullets on the button and raised the BB like he was stealing. The BB reraised him and Steve thinks and says,"Oh well it's been a fun ride.I'm all-in." The guy calls with AQ. Steve is up to 280K now!!

The comments with the aces was a little excessive (unnecessary) IMO, but whatever works!

Much Later in Day Four Action:
"I'm back!! Just got back from our home game which was a SteveFest which had me checking up on him every time I folded a hand. I talked to Steve and he is way nervous! I told him our mutual friend was in Vegas and going to stop by to watch. Steve said,"Tell Ken I'll give him 10K to stay away. I don't want to jinx it." Steve won't even let his wife leave the hotel room to watch."

With 82 Players remaining:
"he is at 288K and is one spot froma 15K pay increase. I'm sure he is pushing them in after that."

" I bet Steve has never played in a tourney (beofre this) with higher than a $500 buy-in."

From CardPlayer"
"Dannenman doubles through Pardey Jr.
Steve Dannenman's JJ went up against Pardey Jr.'s AQ and the board kept his lead, increasing Dannenman's total to 520k and reducing Pardey Jr.'s to 1 million."

"Steve Dannenmann Doubles Through Rod Pardey
Log: After a flop of A-9-5, Rod Pardy and Steve Dannenmann are both all in. Pardy shows A-9 (two pair), but Dannenmann has pocket fives for a set. Dannenmann needs to catch a nine or an ace to eliminate Dannenman. The turn card is the 6, and the river card is -- a 5. Dannenmann makes four of a kind to cripple Pardy down to about $245,000. Dannenmann increases his chip stack to roughly $1,250,000."

Towards the end of the night:
"Steve Dannenmann takes out Russ Hamilton
Russ Hamilton went all in pre-flop with QJs and was called by Steve Dannenmann who showed A8o. The board came 82AQK giving Dannenmann top two for the win. Russ Hamilton went home in 59th place with $145,975."

At 4:30AM Vegas time this morning:
" Stev just called me and you are gonna love the stories!!!!!

Steve just walked out of the hard rock cafe and is drunk. He started ordering drinks at the table when he was at 280K last night. He goes on a 2 million chip burner while wasted!!! He invites the dealer to the Hard Rock for flopping the A 8 2 pair. He sees Raymer on the way out and asks Raymer where his stack is and Raymer says 700K. Steve says,"I'm gonna have them tomorrow." I told him he has 500 strangers following him online. He said he has his whole table is on tilt cuz he's drunk. After he got 2 mil,he walked away from the table while in the BB to check his phone messages and somebody warned him he was the BB. Steve says,"I don't care. I have 2 mil in chips." I hope ESPN gets footage of him drinking at the table. As much money as he may win,he doesn't care about the money. Believe me,Steve will try to take out someone like Matusow because he'd rather see Matusow cry than to win the thing himself."

Sounds like a colorful guy for TV at least...
Old 07-13-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Steve Dannenman

Also, if anyone happens to run across a picture of Steve on one of the poker sites, could you please direct me to it? I'm curious as to what he looks like.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:27 PM

"Believe me,Steve will try to take out someone like Matusow because he'd rather see Matusow cry than to win the thing himself"

Priceless
Old 07-13-2005, 01:42 PM

Thats funny. I hope they catch him too. Getting drunk at the table always priceless.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:50 PM

Someone already beat your boy to it:

Date / Time: 2005-07-13 12:43:00
Title: Players in Good Spirits
Log: Although these players are playing for millions of dollars, they don't seem to be nervous. Mike Matusow was just quoting the movie Happy Gilmore, saying he wanted to, "go to his happy place." Kenna James, who just eliminated a player, is drinking beer. "There's nothing like a coors in the morning," James said.

Isn't this Paluka's friend?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:02 PM

Well this guy is obviously doing something right (from Cardplayer):

Steve Dannenmann $4,000,000 118 3
Tex Barch $4,000,000 117 9
Mike Matusow $3,550,000 117 7
Phil Ivey $3,200,000 118 1
Tim Phan $3,000,000 0 6
Old 07-14-2005, 09:56 AM

"And although it's not part of the strategy, while his opponents are sipping spring water and Coke, Dannenmann is standing at his table yelling, "Cocktails!"

He likes Bloody Marys with a rim of Old Bay seasoning. Lot's of 'em. For a time Tuesday night, he had one drink in his hand and two at his feet."

"And although his opponents sometimes stewed, Dannenmann defused some of the annoyance with an affable, aw-shucks demeanor, occasionally rooting for players with whom he faced off in showdowns. Whenever a new player sat down, Dannenmann was a one-man Welcome Wagon extending his hand, "Hiya, I'm Steve. What's your name? Where ya from?"

While table tension mounted, Dannenmann would rummage through a plastic shopping bag of odds and ends, once pulling out a book on Zen philosophy to the delight of onlookers.

So far, the off-beat, sometimes loony approach has worked.

"Look, I'm a bad player; I know that," Dannenmann said on a break between sessions during another 12-hour day of poker Tuesday. "The only way I have any chance here is to get the table on-tilt.""

Complete Baltimore Sun Article

He sounds kinda obnoxiouis actually... ESPN will probably love him though.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Believe me,Steve will try to take out someone like Matusow because he'd rather see Matusow cry than to win the thing himself"

Priceless

[/ QUOTE ]

Really priceless now. Someone ought to point Matasow to this thread.

- Nick
Old 07-16-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You know," he added, "I'm missing my Tuesday night game back home because of this."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I hate it when the WSOP final table gets in the way of my home game
Old 07-16-2005, 11:06 PM

Classy, at least the last part.

Now I'm depressed.