Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Clearing this Party Bonus at the $50NL

This is the first time that I have really tried playing online NL. My main game is the 5/10 6 max and $109 SNG's. Since poker seems to be moving to NL I thought that I had better learn to play it. Based on my first 500 hands I can honestly say that I hate it.

These people are just plain goofy. I am finding it hard to play against the ones that flop top pair and just shove it in. The problem that I have found is that they see most flops and are just as likely to have top pair top kicker as they are to have flopped bottom two.

I guess a point could be made for me not starting with 4 tables (along with 2 more of 5/10) but the biggest problem isn't playing the 6 tables (I usually play 8) but using the slider. I have been playing with the keyboard in my lap since I can't seem to get the slider to work fast enough for me. I think a good improvement would be for the slider to increase the size of the pot when you click in it. I am playing the $0.50/$1.00 tables and the first click takes it to $6.00 which is way more that I want.

I would like to hear how others that normally play these tables efficiently bet and raise.

NZ
Old 05-17-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Clearing this Party Bonus at the $50NL

Type in your bet.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These people are just plain goofy. I am finding it hard to play against the ones that flop top pair and just shove it in. The problem that I have found is that they see most flops and are just as likely to have top pair top kicker as they are to have flopped bottom two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop set, take stack. That's my advanced formula
Old 05-17-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop set, take stack. That's my advanced formula

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that idea. I will try that next time instead of raise with AK, flop K36 and lose stack to 39 when a 9 comes on the turn.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:55 PM

Are you sure you're betting enough preflop? What about after that? Also TPTK isn't such a great hand in NL and you might have problems overplaying it. (I dunno, just a though)

While the flop set is a great way to play, I'm also a big fan of:
Flop straight, take stack.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure you're betting enough preflop? What about after that? Also TPTK isn't such a great hand in NL and you might have problems overplaying it. (I dunno, just a though)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure that I am staying with top pair too long (years and years of limit poker). Preflop I fold or raise to 2 (4x BB).
Old 05-17-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop Boat, take stack is good, too. The beauty of FBTS is that 72o has as good a chance to flop a boat as AKs!!! I highly recommend it.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am sure that I am staying with top pair too long (years and years of limit poker). Preflop I fold or raise to 2 (4x BB).

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get too stuck in the "raise or fold" limit mentality. Limping and even cold calling raises (*gasp*) in LP with small pairs and Suited Connectors is perfectly fine in NL.

Just be sure you can get away from JTs when you flop a pair of Jacks and face heat. You're playing it to flop a monster or a strong draw.

Also, you usually want to raise more if there are multiple limpers in the pot, otherwise you are giving favorable odds to call your raise. 4xBB + 1BB for each limper is a good rule of thumb.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am finding it hard to play against the ones that flop top pair and just shove it in. The problem that I have found is that they see most flops and are just as likely to have top pair top kicker as they are to have flopped bottom two.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough*

Someone call the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE
Old 05-17-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am finding it hard to play against the ones that flop top pair and just shove it in. The problem that I have found is that they see most flops and are just as likely to have top pair top kicker as they are to have flopped bottom two.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Someone call the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBULANCE

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, that's exactly the type of player you want to play against- buddy list 'em. you just have to adjust your game.