Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite of the four?
Jerry 13 10.74%
George 61 50.41%
Elaine 5 4.13%
Kramer 42 34.71%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Home game rules question

Is it common for small-stakes NL home games to have a rule that punishes people for acting out of turn by killing their hands and requiring them to call, dead, all action before them?

This was done to a new player in a game I regularly play in (0.10/0.20 NL Hold'em/NL Omaha 8 rotation), and I wanted to beat the [censored] out of the dealer/host... both for not saying anything about it until he could screw someone out of $20 in a headsup pot and for invoking it on a n00b we'll probably never get back.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Home game rules question

Wow, that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard of in a while. The only time I've even heard of punishing anyone at all for acting out of turn is when they're obviously doing it as an angle shoot (i.e. betting a bunch of money out of turn, pulling it back, and then checking when it gets to them).
Old 04-02-2005, 02:02 PM

That's a horrible rule... hell, rule might be too strong of a word. It's a horrible ANGLE. I call shenannigans. If you want to punish someone for acting out of turn, implement the dickout rule... while playing beergolf, if you don't hit it past the ladies tee you have to play the rest of the hole with your dickout.

Thinking about it, I may make a dunce hat or two that people have to wear for a couple hands when they break action or pre-expose thier hole cards. I would never take a pot from someone for making a simple mistake.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:16 PM

I once played in a NL cash homegame where there were three players still in on the river (on a hand I had already tossed). Player A bet, Player B called, and flipped his cards over while looking at Player A, seemingly oblivious to the fact that Player C had yet to act. Player C then claimed that Player B's hand was dead!. Player A nodded in agreement, and Player B sheepishly mucked his cards before Player C showed.

When I questionned them as to what was going on, Player C said this was to prevent Player B from getting an unfair advantage, even inadvertantly...although I failed to see what advantage he would gather by showing his cards after calling!

UGH.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:41 PM

Josh Arieh acted out of turn in the 2004 WSOP, he just apologized and nobody thought any more of it. The point is, if it's obviously an innocent mistake, just let it go.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:04 AM

Technically, I believe the hand IS dead. I wouldn't have evoked that rule in this case, I don't think, for an honest mistake.

Like you, I don't see an advantage. I think the rule was created to cut down on collusion risks (B and C are in cahoots, B is saving C money).

Please tell me C didn't win the hand.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:06 AM

"of turn by killing their hands and requiring them to call, dead, all action before them?"

The host have a pole up their butt about acting out of turn? Wow.

Requiring the out-of-turn player to honor their actions again when it is actually their turn? Probably.
Declare their hand dead and THEN make them put bets in anyway? Bullshit- I would have raised a huge fight about that.

The host is an idiot.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"of turn by killing their hands and requiring them to call, dead, all action before them?"

The host have a pole up their butt about acting out of turn? Wow.

Requiring the out-of-turn player to honor their actions again when it is actually their turn? Probably.
Declare their hand dead and THEN make them put bets in anyway? Bullshit- I would have raised a huge fight about that.

The host is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The host got a black eye from the n00b afterwards. I told the n00b to come back next week and do it again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2005, 04:50 PM

"The host got a black eye from the n00b afterwards"

Now, that kind of thing won't allow him back into a game- that was stupid as well (no matter how deserved it might be)
Old 04-03-2005, 06:08 PM

you can't enforce a house rule like this that is a non-standard rule by any standards if there was no reasonable intent made to inform the player of the rule prior the the incident.

any time this happened, it would be theoretically +ev to push with any two, right? you'd be guaranteed his whole stack for free or at least a giant overlay in a headsup pot.

they might as well have just stolen his wallet.