Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 01-21-2005, 09:25 AM

Default 99 hand at Party 5/10: What the hell is wrong with me?

I'm still trying to figure out how I could've kept these guys in the hand and extracted a little more from them. Thoughts?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

I almost let this one go... middle pairs for 2 more bets preflop aren't very good from what I understand. I call anyway because I'm feeling lucky.

Flop: (9.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

After I pick my jaw up off the floor, I start thinking. My plan is to flat call the flop, then C/R the turn.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Damn. Kinda hard to C/R when nobody bets. I was expecting the button to fire another bet at this. Guess my read on him was horrid... or maybe his cards were. I was genuinely putting him on AA/KK before this point. Now I'm confused.

River: (6.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds.

I bet out here to try to extract a little more. 7BB kinda sucks for a hand like this. Nobody bites. Makes me wonder what they were 3-betting with preflop.

Final Pot: 7.20 BB
Old 01-21-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: 99 hand at Party 5/10: What the hell is wrong with me?

you analyzed that all wrong. And if you were feeling lucky enough to call with that crap pre-flop, then is it not safe to say that you were unlucky to not get much action post?

CO was in a steal position, Button was in an isolation position.

I think a bet on the flop here is superior. I see this turn getting checked through quite a bit.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:33 AM

Someone is going to be results oriented and say cr the flop or bet the turn because if they have overcards they'll check the turn.

The part about checking the turn is true. But more often than not, a preflop 3-bettor will have a pair and you will get to check-raise the turn. You just have to juggle the percentages to determine which is correct.

Krishan
Old 01-21-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CO was in a steal position, Button was in an isolation position.

I think a bet on the flop here is superior. I see this turn getting checked through quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is right and pushes the correct line to be fast. I didn't take into account the postisions of the preflop raisers.

Krishan
Old 01-21-2005, 12:38 PM

I think you have to bet the turn. People can be on nice straight draws or flush draws here. I wouldn't attempt the check raise with only 3 people in because there isn't another 9 for them to resist you with. Only if the 8 made them a straight would you definitely keep them in the hand. Jacks may fold to a c/r here.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:39 PM

6-max hands go in HUSH.

What the hell is wrong with me?

You smell vaguely of Missouri.