Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 01-03-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Bankroll size

I'm sure this has been addressed a million times before, but....

I'm considering making the move from recreational online poker to semi-pro or better. I'm wondering how big a bankroll someone more knowledgeable than me (read: anyone who's serious enough to read this forum) would need to survive the expected variances in Party and Bodog 3/6 and 5/10.

I've been playing non-microlimit games for only about a week online, and have built up about $2000 from these games. Should I think about adding more capital in before committing to the long haul, so to speak?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Bankroll size

If poker is your only income, I've read 500BB plus 2 months expenses.

edit: play for 6 more months before you do this. DO NOT quit your day job (if you have one)
Old 01-03-2005, 08:33 AM

Forget the capitol. Try building up some experience first.

Professional athletes play for 10-15 years before making it professionally and you want to do it after a week?

You think your good now? In 6 months you'll look back and realise you weren't that good and by then you may have a better understanding of where you want to go professionally.

And yes, it's been covered over a million times before. The search function does work.

outs
Old 01-03-2005, 11:30 AM

Opinion already posted:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...630&Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit =50&Main=1263630&Search=true&where=bod ysub&Name=5158&daterange=1&newerval=2& amp;newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&b odyprev=#Post1263630

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2005, 11:35 AM

Pardon me for being a moron.

I get the picture now. Am I right in thinking that the intelligent move (one I hear is hardly ever made by someone in my position) would be to get a full-time job and see if I can beat the 1-2 and 2-4 games consistently for a few months before making any stupid decisions?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:22 PM

I think we need a much more detailed background from you to give any good advice.

Cup
Old 01-03-2005, 12:36 PM

My best advice, as someone who moved up from .25-.50 to .50-1 and now has to move back down because of a lack of discipline which led to some bad NL sessions is to stay at .50-1 or 1-2 for a while until you've built up. If you beat them consistently for a month or so then play a level where you have a 300 BB roll or better.
Good luck
Old 01-03-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If poker is your only income, I've read 500BB plus 2 months expenses.

edit: play for 6 more months before you do this. DO NOT quit your day job (if you have one)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, reef actually posted something useful! Anyway, this is the formula I use, although I don't recommend quitting your day job until you are making 3-4x your job-income at poker.