Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-16-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Poll: Call or fold

Level 1 of Party $10 SNG. I am in BB with a monster T5d. UTG raises to $45. 4 players cold call. SB folds. Who would call here and why or why not?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Poll: Call or fold

fold, save your chips. what can you hope for on the flop??

just my opinion though [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Jim
Old 09-16-2004, 05:58 PM

Would you normally play this hand ? Probably not right, so why would you invest any more chips. You need to forget about the money you already put in, as it is no longer yours. This is how I approach the blinds, and I'm not sure if this is correct . If it's a hand I would normally call with out of the blind, than I will call a small raise with it and only continue if the flop hits me really hard. If it's not anything I would normally play than I won't even call 2 more cents. Of course with 5 other players in, you only have to spend T25 to possibly win t255, that's 10:1 but I'm not sure if your hand is that likely to win.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:56 PM

so why would you invest any more chips

Well, that should be obvious - the pot is laying 240:30. So I can see how it looks tempting.

IIRC, Hero will flop two pair or trips about 5% of the time, and a flush draw about 10% of the time? The problem is, sometimes the flop will come AT5 and you'll lose your ass to an AT or an AK that catches/counterfeits, and other times you'll chase a flush draw and miss, or drop your stack to a higher flush.

If you had straight possibilites, then maybe. I would probably call with T8s, but I think you can pass on this one.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:34 PM

fold.

you need a miracle flop to be strong to this hand.

i'm weak tight out of the blinds, but on party this tends to be good for my win rate
Old 09-16-2004, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so why would you invest any more chips

Well, that should be obvious - the pot is laying 240:30. So I can see how it looks tempting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did make mention of the great pot odds he was getting, and they are even better than 8:1. There are 5 players with 45 in the pot the SB has 10 and the hero already has 20 in, I figure this to be a little better than 10:1. What I wasn't too sure about was whether or not those were good enough odds to play that hand. There really isn't much information about what to do in the blinds. Should pot odds be a huge factor? Perhaps you or another experienced player/poster could clear this up?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:08 PM

Fold. I would fold for even a min raise here.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:19 PM

Thanks ddubious. I was looking at the obvious pot odds and thinking I could win a big pot or fold if I dont hit. I don't normally defend my blinds with crap but this I thought was a good opportunity to hit a big one. What I didn't take into consideration is the points you brought up about hitting the flop and still losing. BTW I did call, hit my flush draw, and someone went all in on the flop to ruin any odds so I had to fold.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:14 AM

Fold. I used to make a lot of Level 1 calls thinking "It's only 30 chips." Problem is, four of those calls in the first level and you've lost close to 15% of your stack hoping for a miracle. You've read the other posts about catching and still losing.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:21 AM

Strange question lol Fold! If you had KJo you should still fold. (name a flop you like with KJ against 5 players).

TIGHT to start much, much, much tighter if you are considering limiping here with that hand.,