Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-26-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Thoughts on Line?

Should I have just checked the turn? Seems worth it to try and buy it. River seems like a clear fold... thoughts?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($109.20)
Button ($113.65)
SB ($97)
BB ($107.20)
UTG ($63.45)
UTG+1 ($75.40)
MP1 ($152.10)
MP2 ($132.30)
Hero ($107.55)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $1, MP2 calls $1, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($7) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6.65</font>, Button calls $6.65, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $6.65.

Turn: ($26.95) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25.65</font>, Button calls $25.65, MP2 calls $25.65.

River: ($103.90) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $80.35 (All-In)</font>, MP2 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $184.25
Old 12-26-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on Line?

Fold preflop. This hand is crap when played out of position.
Fine on the flop.
1/4 pot on the turn, or check it with plans to 1/2 pot on the river since this is how somebody with nut boat or quads would play it.
Obvious check-fold on the river given the action on the turn.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:32 AM

How am I out of position?
Old 12-26-2005, 04:33 AM

Correction here:

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. This hand is crap especially when played out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-26-2005, 03:10 PM

I don't like betting a low wrap like this when in middle position, especially on a 2 flush board. I'd prefer to see the turn for cheap and see what people do then. I'd almost prefer check-raising the flop to straight out betting it. I don't like the turn bet at all.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:30 PM

The top gap in your small card run really marginalizes this hand and I wouldn't like to be playing it anywhere other than in a free blind or possibly in late position. The one exception to this would be in a raised pot heads up against someone marked with A-A-x-x that will overplay their hand on small card boards.

The flop is a decent one for you, but by no means stellar. You are really only in good shape against a naked set. You could be totally dominated by a better straight/flush draw. Thus, you really need the field narrowed. Leading out isn't going to accomplish this. So, if you are going to commit to this pot, I would go for the check/raise to push out better straight and flush draws. You are screwed if someone has a better straight and flush draw, but thats life.

As played, I don't really like your turn bet. Most often, the nut boat or quads is going to make a small bet here, like 1/4 to 1/2 pot. These smaller bets will help get your boats paid off when you have them and save you money on failed bluffs when you don't have them.

Once you get called on the turn, it is time to go limp, especially out of position. So, check/folding the turn is a real no brainer.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:43 PM

I would play this hand preflop, especially in position as you are. Bet on the flop is fine. No need to bet the full pot on the turn as if you had a full house you wouldn't be worrying about giving a cheap card; you will fold someone who was drawing on the flop. Give up on the river.