Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-24-2005, 04:51 AM

Default AA facing turn push

I've been at the table for one orbit, so no reads. What range of hands do you put Villain on? Easy call, easy fold, or tough decision?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) converter

Button ($322.35)
SB ($105.25)
BB ($414.25)
UTG ($74)
Hero ($258.70)
CO ($215.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $6.

Flop: ($17) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $28</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $80</font>, BB calls $52.

Turn: ($177) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $326.25 (All-In)</font>, Hero ...?
Old 12-24-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: AA facing turn push

I'm calling this/

As for hand range, only hand that beats us is a set. Obviously this is a possibility, especially with the min-checkraise on the flop. However I think a set would have just checked it to you on the turn thinking you would for sure push it in yourself. He wouldnt want to let you off the hook by making this awkward push on you.

On the other hand, after the flop action villian can pretty clearly put you on an overpair of some type. Therefore the K is a big scare card for most of your range (QQ and down). If he was pushing a draw or a weak made hand like A7 on the flop hoping you missed with overcards this would look like a good card to test you on.

Then again, he could be playing completely straightforward and could have hit this K with Kx diamonds or a hand that just gained outs with clubs.

Considering these possibilities and the fact that two pair on that board is extremely unlikely, I believe a call is in order.
I don't like getting pushed off aces when they are clearly the top hand in my range. Unless I have a specific read/reason, which I do not believe that you do.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:10 AM

I think your up against a set. But, kinda tuff, what did you do?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:59 AM

I'd read this for strength and fold.

EDIT: Eh, thought you covered... Tougher decision now. I'd say it's close.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:10 AM

Well, since on the turn you have a pot sized bet left, I think you gotta call. It sure could be a set here, but it could also be a draw and the occaisional weird piece of trash (88-QQ or something)
Old 12-24-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Too early for results?

Here are my thoughts on the hand.

The turn bet looked strange to me. I would expect a set/2 pair to 3bet all-in on the flop, or check-raise all-in on the turn. The king didn't make any likely two pair, KK would probably have reraised preflop. Check-minraise seems like a strange way to play a draw, but maybe he planned to minbet the turn if he missed ... at any rate, the most likely hands I figured him for were 7cxc or Kdxd.

Results in white below:
<font color="white"> Villain showed K K and I didn't improve. </font>
Old 12-24-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Too early for results?

Oddly played KK..........played incredibly weakly preflop and on the flop......then he hits the nuts on the turn and allows you to potentially get away from aces. Hmmmm.

I still like the call, I think the play is inconsistent with a flopped set for basically the same reasons you stated. No way I saw KK here thats for sure.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Too early for results?

I call this one, i think u r looking at top pair + flush draw here enuf times for it to be profitable (A/K dd). I think a set gets it all in on the flop, the K likely improved his hand imo.