Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-01-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: 2/5NL live - JTs

[ QUOTE ]
maybe someone with poker stove can do the math and show my equity on the flop when against one guy with a completely random hand vs three players, one withg a random hand and two players with say low pairs or overs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you have the same number of outs against the players with overs / low pairs as you do if you isolate? Plus, only 1 of the overs doesn't make you the nuts. If this is what you perceive you're up against, why do you want to isolate?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
maybe someone with poker stove can do the math and show my equity on the flop when against one guy with a completely random hand vs three players, one withg a random hand and two players with say low pairs or overs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you have the same number of outs against the players with overs / low pairs as you do if you isolate? Plus, only 1 of the overs doesn't make you the nuts. If this is what you perceive you're up against, why do you want to isolate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I't can be close but no you don't at least in terms of your % chance of winning the pot. Things that will lower your chance of winning by having more people in the pot are: Them redrawing to a higher straight, backdooring a flush, having some sort of pair just to name some there may be more. The change can be small to decent, but having more people in will almost always effect your chances of taking the pot at least slightly. And if you can clear up any J or T as an out by folding a weak queen it is huge.

But an important piece is that if you call then you don't get an automatic look at both the turn and river cards. So you get the one card for a great price then what do you do on a blank turn now that your equity is much lower? Either of them might wake up and charge too much to draw. Do you continue to bluff the dry side-pot?

And both of them have been very weak so far, so we can't count on our implied odds if we do hit. That is a key component that could swing the EV of calling higher.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:39 PM

(Grunching)

I don't like this swolfe, assuming your opponents are normal live idiots.

1) You're getting great immediate odds. I don't like FPS when you get great drawing odds.

2) You're drawing to the nuts.

3) Idiots don't know how to play side pots. If you hit your hand, I think you will be able to extract a lot of value from the other players.

In this type of situation, the other players will often think you're full of it if you make a big bet, thinking (correctly) that you're trying to isolate the idiot all-in player. Might as well make that big bet on the turn when you hit your hand, and get another player (or more) to come along drawing dead.