Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Dell laptop, 9300. which upgrades.

there is a $500 off coupon posted currently for the 9300 laptops.
Going with the base model, and adding in the all important better monitor, are there any other important upgrades to make being that this is just going to be a poker computer.

Need to get it over 1499 to qualify for the coupon, and debating between increased hard drive, better video card, or maybe more ram.

any suggestions on which way I should go and why?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Dell laptop, 9300. which upgrades.

Get the best display option you can (WUXGA)
Get 1 gig of ram
Get a 7200 rpm hard drive
Get the bluetooth card
Get the middle video card.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:39 PM

So is this one of the best deals? I need a laptop but I'm holding out for when Dell has the best coupons going.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:25 AM

I used a 30% coupon a couple of weeks ago that saved me about $650. Then I called Dell to complain about a couple of things and they whacked another $100 off the top. It depends on what upgrades you put on it as to which deal is best. If you can squeak over $1500 building one and pay $1000 with a coupon and then add on a few goodies yourself from Newegg or somewhere you may come out ahead a few sheckles.
I loaded mine up, knowing that I was paying Dell too much for some of the options, but it was worth it to me for the peace of mind knowing I don't have to mess around with it. You MUST get the high end monitor option to 4 table with no overlap. The ordering process doesn't secify resolution but the standard option is 1440x900 max. I would suggest the 1 gig ram, 7200rpm HD, Bluetooth, and one of the graphics upgrades. I also thought it was worth the extra 10 for backup discs. All told mine was about $2200 retail and after some upgrade rebates and the 30% I paid about $1400 plus another $100 off after the fact. You can't find a comparable laptop anywhere else for that price and it is an absolute dream to play poker on.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You MUST get the high end monitor option to 4 table with no overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only monitor upgrade I see is the "17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™." Is that the monitor of which you speak? I didn't think it was possible to 4-table on a 17" display.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You MUST get the high end monitor option to 4 table with no overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only monitor upgrade I see is the "17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™." Is that the monitor of which you speak? I didn't think it was possible to 4-table on a 17" display.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is exactly the monitor upgrade you want. The 17" WUXGA. It can do 1920 x 1200 and you can 4-table w/o overlap on it. I'm typing this on a 9300 with just such a monitor. It's awesome. 17" Desktop monitors can't do 4-tables. Laptop 17" WUXGA ones CAN.