Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-28-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Low level limit 5 card stud question.

Assume I have (5)5 and am gonna make the bring in. There are total of 6-8 players on the table, all lose players that will call with anything, should I make the full bet here or just the small one? They all got overcards and most will call either way, so betting full will not thin the field. What if I make the small bet and someone raises, should I call?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Low level limit 5 card stud question.

I would probably wait until I had 3 cards [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

However, if you meant rolled-up 5s, I would call along for now. You see, betting might not thin the field on at this point - but, your follow-up bets might thin the field before 5th, which is where you want money going in (or later).

Remember, if you raise here you only gain an extra half of a small bet from each player. (You say that they will probably call either way.) I think you will be making a more profitable play if you let them form a little something first. (For example, at low limits players will not lay down two pairs to your aggression often.)

Also, what do you hope to portray? I know they do not think much, but really - what are you completing with here? Big buried pair or rolled-up trips as far as they are concerned - when they see you bet out on a later round and start to wonder if they are beat. They do not think, "what would he complete with?", but rather, "what would I complete with?".

I think the calibre of "overcards" is important, also. I mean, an overcard to a 5 is not exactly a powerhouse. If there are Kings and Aces and Queens out, especially in force, what hand can they read you for?

I quite like going cheaply to fourth and seeing if my board will let me represent a four-straight or a four-flush. It is likely a big pair or any two-pair made on 4th will take the lead - and you can wait until the big betting rounds to pop him. Also, by playing slower until 5th you will get more of a handle on whether you need to fill up or not - and these flush draws or straight draws are not folding anyway.

If they really are calling machines, you might get away with popping it on 4th and 6th - I try to avoid doing so on 7th because they are all very keen to save that final bet at low limits, for a reason I will never understand.

Of course, if you are lucky, some of those big cards have big pairs and go to war with each other. In this case, I would probably call along hoping that they will put in a lot of money before I let them know they are drawing pretty slim. You could run into bigger trips, but it will not be happening often.

This is basically a slight paraphrase of some of Chip Reese's advice with some added paranoia and stupidity from me. I am sure arguments can be made for trying to make people fold by going straight for the jugular. (With the intention of having them fold before putting money in on 5th.) However, this is how I would probably play it - maybe a little predictable, but it works at lower limits.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:19 AM

Nice analasys, but it is 5 card stud, not 7.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:48 AM

Well, I did say that I am rather new and stupid. I originally meant at Poker, but I guess I can add reading to my list of skills I need to improve. I would edit the post, but I don't think it'll let me now. Sorry [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 12:45 PM

5(5) is a pretty big hand in 5 card. I's raise and reraise early so hands like Q(J) don't get a chance to hit cheaply
Old 10-28-2005, 02:04 PM

So I should play all pairs the same on early streets but fold small ones on later if I encunter too much resistence and play big pars stong on all streets?¨

I only play on 0.5/1.0 but the players are terrible, essentialy I always play the tightest and most agressive, I will raise with hands like (T)A and better and pairs, and fold on first bettinground if I see I am beat.

I will even fold hands like (K)Q if someone raises with (X)A, bad play?
Old 10-28-2005, 04:03 PM

I muck the (K)Q if an ace raises, but if they are going to call you no matter what, I might pick off one to see if I improve. If I am going toplay an ace, it in the hole, so if I hit it, I get action. You will get folds against (8)AA, but calls against (A)8A. If your ace is up than I want another decent card underneath, J, Q, K, etc. If the board pairs higher than your pair, fold everytime, unless you have a couple of overcards on 4th.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably wait until I had 3 cards [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

However, if you meant rolled-up 5s, I would call along for now. You see, betting might not thin the field on at this point - but, your follow-up bets might thin the field before 5th, which is where you want money going in (or later).

Remember, if you raise here you only gain an extra half of a small bet from each player. (You say that they will probably call either way.) I think you will be making a more profitable play if you let them form a little something first. (For example, at low limits players will not lay down two pairs to your aggression often.)

Also, what do you hope to portray? I know they do not think much, but really - what are you completing with here? Big buried pair or rolled-up trips as far as they are concerned - when they see you bet out on a later round and start to wonder if they are beat. They do not think, "what would he complete with?", but rather, "what would I complete with?".

I think the calibre of "overcards" is important, also. I mean, an overcard to a 5 is not exactly a powerhouse. If there are Kings and Aces and Queens out, especially in force, what hand can they read you for?

I quite like going cheaply to fourth and seeing if my board will let me represent a four-straight or a four-flush. It is likely a big pair or any two-pair made on 4th will take the lead - and you can wait until the big betting rounds to pop him. Also, by playing slower until 5th you will get more of a handle on whether you need to fill up or not - and these flush draws or straight draws are not folding anyway.

If they really are calling machines, you might get away with popping it on 4th and 6th - I try to avoid doing so on 7th because they are all very keen to save that final bet at low limits, for a reason I will never understand.

Of course, if you are lucky, some of those big cards have big pairs and go to war with each other. In this case, I would probably call along hoping that they will put in a lot of money before I let them know they are drawing pretty slim. You could run into bigger trips, but it will not be happening often.

This is basically a slight paraphrase of some of Chip Reese's advice with some added paranoia and stupidity from me. I am sure arguments can be made for trying to make people fold by going straight for the jugular. (With the intention of having them fold before putting money in on 5th.) However, this is how I would probably play it - maybe a little predictable, but it works at lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dmks, but this was just the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Doh!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I am going toplay an ace, it in the hole, so if I hit it, I get action. You will get folds against (8)AA, but calls against (A)8A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intresting, I been playing the opposite. Most often folding hands like (A)9 since people with (X)K will call me down till showdown if I will not get another ace. But with (8)A I can often win unimproved on 4th if the others do not show any scary board.

My favorite hands are (Q)Q and (K)K actually, since peope with (X)A will call down to showdown unimproved and they will still play their A even if one of them is already gone.

Anyone else have any stratehy tips about low level 5 card stud?
Old 10-28-2005, 04:30 PM

It is even better, because if you ignore the bits that state is 7-Stud, then it is possibly the worse possible set of scenarios and methods to play the hand.