Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Messier Retires

Yzerman is playing one more year.

As a Rangers fan I must say its about [censored] time this guy retired. Yea, we love him for 94 but the last year it was horrific to watch how much ice time he was getting relative to the team.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
#1 Bertuzzi
#2 Messier
#3 Gretzky

definitely a great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a list of your favorite players? Because there's no way Gretzky isn't #1 with #2 far behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bertuzzi would be an odd inclusion on that list, seeing as he's the guy who sucker-punched another player and broke the guy's neck.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Billy Smith who until that time had the Oilers' number

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Edmonton, and to say he had our number at that time is a massive understatement. I'd also add leading the Oilers to the Cup in 1990 after Gretzky was traded to your list.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
#1 Bertuzzi
#2 Messier
#3 Gretzky

definitely a great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a list of your favorite players? Because there's no way Gretzky isn't #1 with #2 far behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bertuzzi would be an odd inclusion on that list, seeing as he's the guy who sucker-punched another player and broke the guy's neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe he doesn't like the Avs?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:18 PM

Another Mesier moment occurred on October 19, 1988.

August 9, 1988: The Gretzky trade (Incidentally, people don't forget where they were when JFK got shot or when 9/11 unfolded. For me anyway, August 9, 1988 is also forever etched in my memory).

Anyway, on to October 19, 1988: Gretzky's first game as a LA king in Edmonton. The city of Edmonton is still in mourning and the crowd in the building is almost pro-Kings at the start of the game.

Well, the cord was severed about midway through the game when Messier (one of Gretzky's best friends) put some lumber onto Gretzky's back and rode him hard into the boards. It was almost like Mess was telling the fans that Gretz was now the enemy. The Kings and Oilers then went on to have some intriguing playoff series in the next 2 or 3 years. Gretz won it for the Kings in 1989 when the Oilers were defending the cup but the Oilers beat the Kings and won the cup again in 1990.

Man, those were the days when hockey was something special. I remember games from the 70s, 80s and early 90s vividly - I can even remember who scored the cup winning goals for most of that time period. By contrast, I have trouble remembering which team won the cup in 2003. Further, I can hardly name 5 guys on each team. I may even have trouble naming all of the teams currently in the NHL.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There will never be a more exciting team in hockey (if not in all of sports).

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. That is the team that got me into hockey in the first place. They were just amazing.

[ QUOTE ]
August 9, 1988: The Gretzky trade (Incidentally, people don't forget where they were when JFK got shot or when 9/11 unfolded. For me anyway, August 9, 1988 is also forever etched in my memory).

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember it well. I nearly vomited when I heard the news.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:02 PM

Well, as a Bruins fan, I've been spending the last 15 years trying to forget about the late '80s Oilers teams...so this ought to help.

He was one hell of a player.