Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 09-07-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Jokerswild Is Already Back Posting...

[ QUOTE ]
I quickly realized that threads about moderation cause far more problems than they solve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely correct. I learned that one too. I once made a post with the intention of setting everyone's mind at ease about moderation policies by making a full disclosure about what they are, and how they will be enforced. The key points I tried to convey were that the rules would be the same as they have always been, and that the policies would be minimally intrusive on the right of free speech. That was a complete fiasco because what the people perceive is that now there is talk of moderation, and rules, and banning, where there was not the talk of such things before, and therefore there must be some great changes afoot to make the forums more restrictive. It's irrational, but that's human nature apparently.

Further, if you make a post to respond to one person's concerns, at least two more will join in with their own concerns. Then you respond to those, and each response will bring at least two more people into the discussion. Soon a runaway chain reaction will ensue, with the whole forum embroiled in a heated thread about moderation and moderators, and the moderators haven’t even done anything yet. All of this because you tried to assuage one person's concerns. Definitely use PM for that.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Moderators are to move or delete inappropriate posts, and posts about forum moderation are not appropriate for the politics forum. Perhaps we should make a forum just for people to beef about moderation, and no such posts will be allowed anywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah, BluffTHIS! just made nearly this exact post in OOT...
Old 09-07-2005, 04:30 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...p;o=1&vc=1

This is really all that needs to be said to people wishing to make moderation a topic of discussion. Moderate using your best judgment. Ban and lock freely, delete cautiously. If your decisions are questioned, use this forum for feedback. If someone complains, refer them to me.
If I reverse anyone's decision to ban or lock, and don't contact you, it means that I respected your decision in theory, but decided it was best for 2+2 to do so.

If I feel that anyone is offbase, you will hear from me.

On the other hand, if your moderation is questioned and you get pleasure in defending yourself, go right ahead. Be careful, however, that you don't then take action which will appear to witnesses as vindictive.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:22 PM

I'm going back to B & M play, and the Politics Forum is too much for me to manage any longer. So best wishes to anyone who takes it over;-)

M