Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 04:04 AM

Default This guy bluffs alot.

Two hand history(2/4 6max on party),

1 limps utg , villain on button minraises like he always does when he has 2 cards, I make it 28 with AK(ace clubs) in SB. He calls and pushes a 973 flop, all clubs. I fold.

A little later, villain opens utg for 25, I call with Kings. Heads up. Flop 593 rainbow. I call 25 bucks, turn is a jack, I call a push. He has 88 and gets a set on river.

Fast forward some, I reload and have correctly called down all his bluffs so far, though nothing big. My stack not improved past buy in much at all, his mostly from me.

Keep in mind I have not raised him once.

I ended up playing him heads up later, and this way only decent hand I folded vs him.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Button ($887.85)
Hero ($436.80)
BB ($721.60)
UTG ($229.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, Hero (poster) calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($20) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, Button calls $15.

Turn: ($50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $25</font>, Hero calls $25.

River: ($100) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $112</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $212
Old 09-06-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: This guy bluffs alot.

What's up with check/call on turn? All in!

The one luxury maniacs have is they get their good hands paid off, and there is nothing you can do about it if you want to play with them. If he has 98 and hit his straight you just gotta pay him off.

I will add the caveate that I don't play 2/4, but I believe maniacs are maniacs at whatever stakes they play.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:22 AM

He isn't really a maniac. He bluffs at any sign of weakness. I don't think he calls here(if i cr allin) unless he beats me.

I could be wrong, but I have nothing to base this on. I haven't seen him call any other aggression to his bluffs yet.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:56 AM

Ok, well what hand did you put him on the turn and why did you check there?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1 limps utg , villain on button minraises like he always does when he has 2 cards, I make it 28 with AK(ace clubs) in SB. He calls and pushes a 973 flop, all clubs. I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slightly off topic, but did you have any reads prior to that hand? I probably would've called.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 09-06-2005, 05:10 AM

He still has any 2 cards after the calls the flop.

I don't want to cr cause if he pushes I'll puke and have no idea what to do.

On the river I think he is milking me, and expecting a call since I've called correctly everytime before.

My main question is in a situation like this how much do I trust to my gut, and how much to the mathematical-my hand is good here x amount of times vs a bluffer.

Also, I'm most interested in creating a situation where I bust this guy. If I call down here correctly, or incorrectly does that help me do that or hurt me?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He still has any 2 cards after the calls the flop.

I don't want to cr cause if he pushes I'll puke and have no idea what to do.

On the river I think he is milking me, and expecting a call since I've called correctly everytime before.

My main question is in a situation like this how much do I trust to my gut, and how much to the mathematical-my hand is good here x amount of times vs a bluffer.

Also, I'm most interested in creating a situation where I bust this guy. If I call down here correctly, or incorrectly does that help me do that or hurt me?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're gonna fold when scare cards come, you just can't slowplay this particular hand..its a very scary board. One thing I might try is checkraising the flop and hoping he actually has something.

Its hard to say for sure with not having the more precise reads that you had from actually playing with him. I know some loose agressive players love to take advantage of scare cards. You said he's not a maniac, but if he's more of a gambling player than a highly skilled loose aggro, I might decide that I'm calling him down to the felt with this hand and figure I'm most likely way ahead and take a chance of getting drawn out on.

However, he doesn't sound to me like he's always out their on a limb, so on this board I just pump money in the pot and hope he has something like AJ or an overpair.

If you think he would be aggressive without a draw, then by all means slow play and let him hang himself. If he's going to shutdown without a big draw, you may as well fastplay your hand.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and just to add to what I said, aggressive players expect for you to eventually make a stand at them, and many of them are willing to take a stand all in with top pair or even less. (If they aren't, then their bluffing strategy really can't work for them because they can get pushed back.)

If he can read when you have a monster, either you're playing too tight against him, or he's such a superior player that its probably best to avoid him.