Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 01:39 PM

Default A WCOOP #1 hand

I had a number of interesting situations in this tournament. Here's one, might post others later.

Down to 175 from 3k. Table fairly tight, though theres a fair amount of stealing and such going on.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1600 (8 handed) converter

Hero (t25803)
Button (t10800)
SB (t33636)
BB (t31381)
UTG (t31028)
UTG+1 (t27885)
MP1 (t26151)
MP2 (t56733)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t10699</font>

I had been doing a nontrivial amount of stealing. Not maniacal though, but enough to be noticed and not flagged as a tight wad. Villain in this hand had only been with us for an orbit or so, no read on him. His SN was Luckyliu if that means anything to anyone. For some odd reason I thought I recognized the name as a pro but I'm definitely not sure.

The problem with this spot is that I'm asking to be played back at given my image and position, etc. But KQs is too strong to fold, and I don't like limping with my stack size and over 2k in blinds in antes already out there.

Once I'm reraised, as I feared I now have no clue if I'm getting played back at or not, or how strong his hand could be. Obviously it could be Aces begging for a call or push, or it could be A5s or 66 looking to win the pot without having to be all in before seeing a flop. A push would lay him a touch over 2:1, which is likely enough to fold out small pairs and small/medium aces and kings.

Then again I could call and try to hit a flop. The problem with that is that I'm giving worse hands and marginalish hands another chance to take the pot off me when I miss 2/3 of boards, and monster hands won't fold anyway. The plus is that I pick up continuation bets when I do hit and maybe TT can't get away on a Q84 flop. Meh.

Of course I could fold. Save my chips, pick a more secure spot. But raise/folding KQh from steal territory makes me throw up a little. I mean I might as well have 23o, especially in a situation where (usually) I'll see a reraise or all folds. Though I guess there was a reasonable chance of a flat call. Hmmmmmmmm

So I'm juggling all three of my options here. What to do, what to do?

Everett
Old 09-05-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: A WCOOP #1 hand

Possibly Liz Liu?

With the huge payouts in this tournament, I'm folding here. The difference between 175 $$ and 125 $$ is too big for me to risk half my stack before the flop with king high.

edit: After looking at the final standings of this tournament, I'm assuming you went ahead and played this all the way?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the huge payouts in this tournament, I'm folding here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a terrible argument, no offense.

To the hand, I think that small reraise is scary. Typically when people are messing around with a CO open they will pop it more if they are restealing with a marginal holding. Calling to see if you can flop a king isnt a terrible idea given the good price you've recieved, but its likely that you wont get paid off if you outflop the opponent and also likely that if you flop a pair you are behind,

I dunno, this small raise scares me personally and I fold and move on. You can push back if you feel like someone is making a move, but most of the time with a reraise like that consider it more unlikely than usual.

-Jason
Old 09-05-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With the huge payouts in this tournament, I'm folding here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a terrible argument, no offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record, before I ever posted that, I knew it was a horrible arguement. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Which is probably why I suck at this game.

I just wouldn't have been able to continue on with that hand in such a big tournament. A $5 tourney? You bet. A $500... I gotta fold. But yes, I do realize that none of this should matter. It's just hard to help it sometimes.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the huge payouts in this tournament, I'm folding here. The difference between 175 $$ and 125 $$ is too big for me to risk half my stack before the flop with king high.

[/ QUOTE ]

God if I were going to let a $50 difference (or even $500 difference) in places be a reason for me to play weak tight and squeak up the money ladder, I wouldn't have rolled this tournament. Do you realize that theres 300 grand for first? That's my motivation, not another payout notch.

If anything the top heavy payouts of a MTT make this reason to gamble earlier rather than later. Pretend it's some stakes you're comfortable with (maybe divide everything by ten?) and then make your analysis.

And please don't make comments like in your edit. I want the results to be entirely blank until I've seen some thoughts. I definitely lost the hand but that definitely doesn't tell you how it happened.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:41 PM

i think its steven liu, a pro from newcastle, england, hes run deep in the $500k gtd sunday tournament on stars before