Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Late in the Super Tuesday

From 1004 down to 24 players on 3 tables, 8 handed. Sorry for no exact HH.

Blinds 1500/3k. I'm in SB with 40k (avg). Table has been on the tight side, with most pots being opened and taken down. Noone really clashing heads. My image isn't anything unusual.

E/MP player with 27k open limps (he has done this a couple times before, once showing KTo, and never limp raising). MP big stack (~90k, has been rolling kinda) limps behind. Folds to me in SB with AJo. BB has about 25k after posting.

I shove.

I didn't second guess this at the time but a buddy of mine swore that I should have just completed and tried to flop something. I didn't really like taking a flop 4 way out of position with a hand like AJo. I didn't like raising less than all in cause it would be half my stack (would really have to raise to 18Kish). Ergo I push.

If I had AJs I may have limped. I would also complete T8s and 44 type hands. I would not have pushed garbage as a squeeze play since my stack is too big.

Thoughts on my push? What hands do you push there? A9o? KJo? 77?

All comments appreicated.

-Kings
Old 08-11-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Late in the Super Tuesday

I am pusing AQ & 10's+.

Maybe calling with AJ. But then again, I have only finished in the top 10 of a superweekday twice. Too bad you got called by 7's and lost.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:19 PM

I don't think 77 makes that call. I think it takes 99+ to call me, and even 99 isn't pleased with it. I expect all of those higher pairs to raise preflop anyway.

Basically, I think that there's a strong chance that I'm best, and this is the only way I see to play it.

If you disagree I'd love some thoughts on why. This is a big point in the tournament.

Kings
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 PM

Easy push. Not even close.

Hero has FE plus the best hand.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:50 PM

With the Open limper having just 9 BB and an M of around 5 assuming there were antes probably less then that. I'm actually concerned he may be slow playing a nice pocket pair and praying for a raise. He's the only reason I wouldnt push just yet. I understand your read on him, but if hes the type of player that will do that often, he's the type of player to just limp w/ AA-QQ.

Just my opinion,
AWLurch
Old 08-11-2005, 01:56 PM

I think this is a good push. Calling might be an option from the button, but I wouldn't do it from your position.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:35 PM

picking up 25% of your stack is always a good thing. pushy pushy.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:09 PM

I would push. Worst case you get called by the limper, slow playing a big hand AA or KK. Other than that you have to be atleast a coinflip (Asuming AK & AQ raise preflop). Could be a nice spot to take a coinflip and potentially double up. Taking the blinds here is a nice amount of chips too.