Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-08-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Running Bad at NL

I feel like I can't even see straight from how badly I'm running.

I went to vegas for first time towards end of wsop and was up pretty decent. Then deck just abandanded me. I played badly as a result towards the end and tilted off 5k or so.(2.5k from unagressive weak play, 2.5k at end from calling when my aces were no good). Still left trip with a profit though, and thought I learned very valuable lesson.

But since I've returned(usually play online, live 3 times month lately) I can't get one nut hand to hold up when the money goes in. Over and over again losing to very bad beats.

I am usually very mellow, don't dwell on bad beats, or really care. I play enough that they happen and I move on.

I've run somewhat bad before, but never enough to stop me from winning. But I am now on a downswing I can't seem to get out of no matter what. About 1/5 of my br.

It feels even worse because of how my hands wouldn't even pick up a draw on the flop, nothing to semibluff to, so if I did bluff, no one believes me and calls me down with crap. Or if I actually have the nuts they put a bad beat on me.

I know no one wants to hear bad beat stories, and I don't want sympathy. Need someway to get out of this funk. It's impossible to play as well when running bad, and this is really screwing with me. I play for a living, and don't like taking time off, since I'm losing money if I do. (tried for a few days, nothing has changed)

Any advice is appreciated.

Only positive thing I see out of this is that I could be broke, I still have most of my br in tact.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Running Bad at NL

It sounds like your main problem right now is confidence. Have you considered moving down a level or two to work out whatever funk you are in? I don't play for a living so I admit I cannot truely appreciate the added pressures. Variance is a cruel thing, try to put yourself in a positive environment and maybe that will get a roll started. Good luck to you.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:02 PM

I\'m a player who experienced the kind of huge downswing fairly early as I began playing poker. What I learned is you must have the confidence in your ability to play enough that you do NOT change the way you normally would play. I know the feeling all too well of being helpless in winning any kind of substantial pot. I made the mistake of trying to \"fix\" my play, and it cost me money.

Dont continue to play at the level youre at if you are no longer confident that your play is winning poker.

Move down a level or two, get your confidence back. If you play for a living things should not be so tight that you cant afford to take a couple of days off at least, or be able to afford moving down limits for a week or two. If youre squeezing by and absolutely must continue to play at your stakes, you\'re almost certainly going to go bust sooner or later.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 AM

Suggestions:
Move down in limits 'til you get your confidence back to something approaching what it was before.

Re-read books if you don't feel quite up to playing right now--the games will still be there...

Have a look back over some of your winning hands if you have stored hand histories--remind yourself how it's done, what you're waiting for (when it seems you're throwing away crap hand after crap hand). The worst thing about chasing losses is trying to 'make' it happen, and playing way too LAGgy.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:03 PM

Also, try playing some other types of games at lower limits. This sometimes helps me take a break from one game when I'm running bad, while allowing me to keep playing. I switch from NL to Limit about every 6 weeks. Keeps both games fresh for me.