Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 09:57 AM

Default $40-$80 KK hand (Borgata)

Fairly loose $40-$80 game this weekend at the Borgata. Lots of multiway pots. I raise UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], MP1 calls (calling station preflop, average at best postflop), MP3 calls (pretty laggy, but possibly the best player at the table – tricky aggressive), BB calls (way too loose preflop, so-so postflop, probably called too much).

Flop 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB checks, I bet, MP1 raises, everyone calls.

Turn 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB checks, I check, MP1 bets, MP3 calls, BB calls, I check-raise.

Is this line way worse than 3-betting the flop and leading the turn? Why?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: $40-$80 KK hand (Borgata)

if you're pretty sure the mp1 guy will bet the turn then this serves a good way to protect your hand, though i'm not sure your hand really needs all that much protection to begin with.

i like 3-betting hte flop better. having the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in your hand is an added bonus too.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're pretty sure the mp1 guy will bet the turn then this serves a good way to protect your hand

[/ QUOTE ]

How? You can't face anyone with 2-cold that way. I don't get it. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you're pretty sure the mp1 guy will bet the turn then this serves a good way to protect your hand

[/ QUOTE ]

How? You can't face anyone with 2-cold that way. I don't get it. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i sort of misread the hand and thought mp1 was the last guy to act. this is really only shutting out the bb, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:15 AM

I was 90% sure that MP1 would bet the turn. The reason I let him take the lead in the hand is because I wanted to see how MP3 would react to his bet. He was the player I was most concerned about in the hand since he's a thinking player, and he called two cold on the flop. When neither he or the blind raised the turn, my checkraise was for value, not necessarily to shut anyone out.

Faulty logic?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was 90% sure that MP1 would bet the turn. The reason I let him take the lead in the hand is because I wanted to see how MP3 would react to his bet. He was the player I was most concerned about in the hand since he's a thinking player, and he called two cold on the flop. When neither he or the blind raised the turn, my checkraise was for value, not necessarily to shut anyone out.

Faulty logic?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Betting the turn doesn't protect you, and you are likely ahead, so might as well get as much $$$ in there as you can. A whiff would really suck though.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:16 AM

In the games I play, which only go up to 30-60, anyone calling two bets cold on the flop has just hoisted a banner that reads "I FLOPPED A SET". If this can also be said for your 40-80 game then I like your line of play.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the games I play, which only go up to 30-60, anyone calling two bets cold on the flop has just hoisted a banner that reads "I FLOPPED A SET". If this can also be said for your 40-80 game then I like your line of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terp, are you folding if MP3 raises?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Terp, are you folding if MP3 raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful, but possibly. He had played a few hands previously where he'd raise the turn with say TT on a J9X board or something similar to try to push out better hands, so I'd more than likely stick around. If BB 3-bet or if I looked left and saw that MP1 would reraise, I probably would though. 3-bets on the big streets meant a huge hand in this game, with very few exceptions. It'd be read-dependent. I may have called, led a non-spade/non-A/non-9 river, and folded to a river raise.