Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2002, 02:58 PM

Default Limit Holdem tourneys - Help - I can\'t close the deal!

I have been playing holdem habitually for a while now, abd I have just started playing in tournaments. As in, one week ago! All at Paradise, $10 buy in. I am having a problem - winning! I can get down to the final two with regularity, but can not seem to close the deal. Out of 10 times, I have won 3 times and come in second 7 times. Several of my losses have been after I have been the chip leader x2. 2 of my wins have been because I was the chip leader x10 and simply had too big of a lead. So, my question is this - how do you WIN these things!!!! How does your strategy change when you are heads up at the final table?

To get there, I have been playing tight early, and then super agressive once the table is down to 5 or so. But, once it is down to two...

Thanks in advance,

PaulF

Old 10-21-2002, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Limit Holdem tourneys - Help - I can\'t close the deal!

my suggestion would be to learn to play heads-up tourney's. There are sites that have 2.00, 5.00 and 10.00 heads up matches where the blinds increase like a regular tourney. If you spend a lot of time playing these you will learn to determine what technique to use when you get heads up in a regular tourney and you will be at an advantage. It is also possible to find someone in play money heads up (like on paradise) who will seriously play the 3/6 heads up games. sometimes you get somebody who just raises and raises with nothing, but usually I find a serious player that will put a lot of thought into the heads up play and it is a good way to build up your endurance level and rhythm which is required for good HU play.