Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 02:42 PM

Default When do you back off AK, AQ?

It seems lately that my AK, AQ (suited or unsuited) are missing. Meaning no K or A on the board, no big draw, etc. Typically, I will raise these hands preflop, then bet out the flop not matter what comes. If the turn comes with no A or K, I will bet out again if checked to, and it is usually there that I get hit with a check raise or get a caller or two. River comes with another blank. I bet again, get called my some schmuk holding 22 (or whatever). My question to you guys is when to do back off AK, AQ when they miss or do you? Do you keep ramming eventhough you know that you are beat by any pair?

I know "it depends", but I am looking for any generalizations that you can offer!

Thanks!

PaulF
Old 10-16-2002, 02:59 PM

Default Re: When do you back off AK, AQ?

How many are in the pot? Against 1 or 2 I might stick with it and play it aggressively. Obviously, if it includes a draw for you, you may have many outs, usually to the nuts, and can bet it aggresviely.

If it's more than 2 opponents and it's a coordinated board like two flush, or has T/J/Q "zone cards", or has str8 possiblities that don't hit AK, it's an easy check. Don't lead into a field of players on a coordinated board just because you were the preflop aggressor. If there's then others bettiing aggresively, it's an easy fold. It's a big leak to stubbornly bet when the hand misses you. It's been one of mine, anyway.

I recently finished Ciafonne/Brier Middle Limit holdem book and there's an excellent section on overcards in it that I recommend you read.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:24 PM

The thing with 2 high cards isn't that they are going to win. But you should bet them heavy preflop becasue they have a good chance of winning. Eventually you will start winning with them.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:36 PM

You should bet your AK when (1) you hit the flop, (2) you have good reason to believe that a post-flop bet will win the pot, or (3) you believe you are drawing live to at least a 6-out hand.

I bet again, get called my some schmuk holding 22

Why is your opponent the schmuck? He had you beat from start to finish.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:05 PM

With AQ unsuited, in Late position, with many limpers, you should probably limp with this hand as well and not raise it pre flop. In fact there are lots of situations were you want to limp with this hand. Sklansky and Izemet(I hope I didn't butcher his name) had a great email discussion about this. I think its posted at his site. Basically in a large field with AQ you basically have to hit the flop to if your going to have a fair chance at winning. Because of that the dynamic for playing AQo changes in a large multiway pot. I wonder if the same theory would apply to AKo. Unfortunately I'm at work and I don't have the URL to Izemet's site.

Stu Pidasso
Old 10-17-2002, 09:52 AM

Default He\'s a schmuck because...

Dynasty,

True he had me beat from the get go, but he took some serious heat with absolute bottom pair. In this hypothetical example, he put in 2 SB, pre flop, 1SB on the flop and 2 BB post flop, for a total of 3.5BBs. That to me is extrememly passive, fish like behavior. How does he know that I do not have a pocket pair? I would play it the same way!

Don't get me wrong, I love having guys like this in my game! I will take all the calling stations that Paradise would like to provide! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

PaulF