Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-29-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Three PP Scenarios

I have three small pocket pair scenarios for review. Any input into what you would do and why would be appreciated. I am looking for the things you all consider when in these situations.

Hand 1:
Total number of players : 6
Seat 2: thatsme49 (1620)
Seat 4: craveman1 (1640)
Seat 5: pyrodave22 (825)
Seat 8: BBmom23 (835)
Seat 9: ShamrockJonz (510)
Seat 10: RobGW (2570)
BBmom23 posts small blind (25)
ShamrockJonz posts big blind (50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to RobGW [ 8d, 8c ]
RobGW raises (150) to 150
thatsme49 folds.
craveman1 calls (150)
pyrodave22 folds.
BBmom23 folds.
ShamrockJonz raises (460) to 510
ShamrockJonz is all-In.
My move?

Hand 2:
Total number of players : 5
Seat 2: thatsme49 (1200)
Seat 4: craveman1 (2960)
Seat 5: pyrodave22 (575)
Seat 8: BBmom23 (610)
Seat 10: RobGW (2655)
craveman1 posts small blind (50)
pyrodave22 posts big blind (100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to RobGW [ 6c, 6s ]
BBmom23 calls (100)
RobGW raises (350) to 350
thatsme49 folds.
craveman1 raises (550) to 600
pyrodave22 folds.
BBmom23 folds.

Hand 3:
Total number of players : 5
Seat 2: thatsme49 (1200)
Seat 4: craveman1 (3510)
Seat 5: pyrodave22 (575)
Seat 8: BBmom23 (410)
Seat 10: RobGW (2305)
BBmom23 posts small blind (50)
RobGW posts big blind (100)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to RobGW [ 8d, 8h ]
thatsme49 folds.
craveman1 raises (325) to 325
pyrodave22 folds.
BBmom23 calls (275)
Old 11-29-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Three PP Scenarios

1. fold (b/c too risky w/ someone to act behind you)
2. fold (reraise gives him too many hands that could easily beat you)
3. push (BB mom HAS to call and you hope that the other big stack folds to get you HU)
Old 11-29-2004, 04:00 PM

Hand 1:

I'd likely limp this one preflop. Call the all-in, as you're getting nearly 2:1 on it. *edit* I didn't see that there was another caller. I'd likely push here as to exclude the other player.

Hand 2: Not a terrible time to steal, not the best time either, but once you're reraised by another big stack I'd be looking to lay this one down or play exclusively for set value.

Hand 3: Fold

Only my opinion,

Zephyr
Old 11-29-2004, 04:02 PM

Hand #1 - I'm pushing. I think. I could probably be talked out of it though.

I'm folding #2 and #3, though I don't like the first raise you put in in #2. I'd have limped or folded. There's a decent chance you're ahead in #3, but it's not worth the risk given the short stacks that are left.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:04 PM

zephyr, don't you fear a reraise if you flat-call in Hand #1?
Old 11-29-2004, 04:05 PM

see edit in above post
Old 11-29-2004, 04:06 PM

Hand 1:
I would only limp in with this, but seeing as you have rasied I'd call the all-in. You've given no read's but I'd guess that as it's this early and looking at the stack sizes, ShamrockJonz must have been playing pretty lose. Am I right, or off the mark? If you call there's a about 900 in the pot - assuming the other player folds. i reckon with your stack this is worth a shot.

Hand 2:
I guess you called hand 1 as that player has now left the table???
Anyway, again I'd have limped here, but as you've been reraised by chipleader I'd lay it down.

Hand 3:
I'd move out of the way and let the bigstack take the shortstack out. I can't see that the big stack is trying to steal, as you're in second place, in the BB and look like you've been playing pretty aggressive - so I'd put him on a big hand. Take him on and you could lose a big part of your stack.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:49 PM

Hand 1:
Craves flat call indicated that he wanted to see a flop. Shamrocks all in was a sign of desperation. He wasn't a good player so he could have any two high cards or any PP. I really thought my hand was good and with all that $$ in the pot, I did not want to fold. If I called I would not know what to do unless I hit a set. I pushed because I thought I still had fold equity with Crave. I wanted to isolate the all in player and make Crave make a decision for all his chips. Craves was a tight aggressive player. He was capable of folding here but if I flat called he was capable of bluffing me out of the pot too.
Hand2:
I raised to isolate BBMOM. Once Craves came over the top, I thought I was either in a coin flip with AK or I was crushed. I didn't feel like he would fold to a push and he had me covered. I could have called to try and hit a set as there was a lot of $$ in the pot, but I decided to fold this one.

Hand 3:
I knew BBMOM would not fold but I thought Craves may or may not. He was an aggressive player so I either wanted to push and isolate the all in player or fold. I guess I could have called to try and hit a set to bust both of them though. I was getting 3.3 to 1 pot odds. I decided to fold this one but maybe I should have pushed or called?

I guess in general the things I considered were
Stack sizes
Pot odds
Size of Pot
Type of Players
Risk of busting out
Fold Equity
My reads on the players hands

I am certainly not an expert on all these things but I wanted to see if their were any other considerations that you all think about.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:18 PM

Hand 1. I would limp preflop, there is just no need to be raising to 3BB, I know it's 6 handed but this is a great hand to play for set value. I would also push over the all-in, though.

Hand 2. Ugh. Horrible position to be in. I may have just limped this behind the UTG limper, I'm not sure. Very close between a limp and raise. But after the re-raise you have to fold. Not a strong enough hand.

Hand 3. Fold. You don't need to get involved with the big stack here. No point risking 1/10th your stack just for set value.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:54 PM

(1) Reraise allin. The likelihood of craveman having a dominating hand that he'll call with is close to nil.

(2) Call. Mostly for set value, but you may also be able to take the pot off him if you don't think he likes the flop.

(3) Fold. You've got no fold equity here vs BBMom and craveman could be sitting on a monster. I wouldn't call for set equity - your stack is a bit short, and if you do hit you're unlikely to extract much with a dry side pot. Better to preserve your chips.