Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-19-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Proper Play of Big Slick

Last night at PP. Player to my left goes all in on the first hand. Everyone folds. He does it again on the second hand. Player to my right calls with Big Slick. Maniac has 93o but catches a straight and doubles up. I catch Big Slick in EP a couple of hands later. I limp in hoping the maniac will go all in again. He limps, the player to his left raises to $150. Folded to me. Now what? Should I raise here? I don't think the raiser will fold after raising so much. I only have $775 so a reraise would be half my stack so it would have to be a push. I thought I could get on overcall from the maniac if I just called. I called, the maniac calls too. Flop comes 45T. I check, maniac pushes, MP calls, I fold. Maniac shows 36, MP shows JJ which hold up. K came on the turn which would have tripled me up. I know that is results oriented but it did get me thinking. What do you do when faced with a Big raise when you hold AK? On Party, I think it may be correct to push since you start off with so few chips anyways. If you don't win some pots you will be stortstacked with high blinds soon. With deeper stacks I could see reraising, pushing, or calling. But at Party it is either pushing or calling. I am not afraid to push, it is just that I can usually outplay most people at this level so I try not to get into coin flips. However, the low starting stacks kind of takes that advantage away. Anyone have any other thoughts?
Old 11-19-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Proper Play of Big Slick

I don't like the limp in EP. While you can be reasonably sure you dominate the maniac, there are still eight other players at the table.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Proper Play of Big Slick

If you play it this way you should be prepared to reraise all in. However, the 150 raise suggests a TT-QQ type hand that doesn't really want customers, but is better than 50/50 against you. (I would also say AK-AQ, but these are less likely than normal, both because you have AK and because AQ won't put this many chips on the line against an EP limper and a guy that'll call any bet PF and may or may not catch any piece of the board.)

If you think the maniac will call an all in reraise, go all in. If not, I think you can probably find a fold here somewhere (although I'd hit myself on the head and call anyway...oh well.)