Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Pre-Flop

I make a standard raise here also. 3xBB for me.I just don't see AK as a trapping hand. I think I remember a post some time ago by giga where he said he liked to keep his raises consistent so opponents could not get a read. As you all know though gigabet is hardly a standard player so it should be interesting to see what he does.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: I think Gigabet limped

[ QUOTE ]
I think Gigabet limped. Otherwise there won't be that much action later in the hand to discuss. Also, the play tends to be aggressive at this stage. Gigabet also limps from early position a lot. He likes to play deceptively and he may feel he can use his skill advantage better this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, but it could also get interesting if he raised, has one caller after, and then one out of the blinds. Follow that up with a dangerous flop (QQx, K-high monotone, 9TJ) and things get uncomfortable pretty quick.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:25 PM

Wooohooo I'm Gigabet, if only for a hand.

[ QUOTE ]
No strong reads on other players

[/ QUOTE ]

This likely means I'm relatively new to the table, so "image is everything, ignore your thirst"

Stacks are big enough that I still want to play poker after the flop, maybe not so much this hand, but on hands in the near future. I raise it to 2.5BB's. I want people to call my small preflop raises not reraise me, so I push if I get a single reraiser. My hand is only a big dog to 2 hands and I want to send a message that they better have the goods if they're coming over the top my small raises. If there's a double reraise behind me, I wimp out an fold.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:27 PM

So you're open-folding JJ here in a Party $109 with 26 BB?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No strong reads on other players

[/ QUOTE ]

I understood from Gigabet's previous posts that he has a detailed book on everyone.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:09 PM

I raise to 450. Im an aggressive player so doing so won't deter action. I would only limp if i had agressive players behind me. I would then hope to check raise them and isolate if not push depending on stack sizes ect. I think overall its wrong to limp here unless a table is agressive in which case i'd look for a check raise....
Old 10-12-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like limping here. You have three stacks behind you that should jam with a pretty large array of hands even after a limper or two. If raised I obviously re-raise all-in.

As silly as it sounds, if the pot remains limped and you flop top pair, you risk going broke against a wide array of hands but you also have an opportunity to double up against a weaker ace that no one would put you on. At this stage of the tournament with our stack I'm willing to take that risk.

Certainly a standard raise is ok too but we have an awkward stack size with which to play AK with after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been taking this line more recently with reasonable success.

It allows for a limp re-raise which represents AA, but if you get called you are usually not dominated, and putting in the last raise is always part of my goal in any hand.

You must be carefull when it gets limped around and you will have to fold TPTK to heavy action, but Ax <K pays you off nicely in a lot of spots.

You also can avoid tying yourself to the pot OOP when you whiff.

I know some guys like Adanthar are good enough not to *always* have to fire a a wiffed flop when they were the PFR, and therefore keep the cost of the hand down, but often AK can cost too much when you are OOP and have more than 1 to act behind you and you feel that you *have* to take a shot on the flop because you were the PFR.

Also, if you do raise PF, get called and hit an A or K you rarely get paid off. If you raise AK PF and hit TPTK and get action you are often beat at this level.

Raising here is fine, but I don't think limping is as bad as many would say. Especially if you are comfortable with your post flop play.

In fact I would go as far as saying if you can play well post flop, you can make just as much (if not more) limping AK in EP as raising, and lose much less.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think AK is a good hand to try and double up with post-flop.

The idea that you will suck A9 into the pot, flop an ace, and win all his chips sure sounds appealing. The problem is that, if you're willing to get all your chips in after an ace or king flops, you're going to find yourself losing to 2-pair hands and the like a lot of the time. It's often difficult to tell whether someone is giving you action because they think their dominated ace is good or because they actually have TPTK beat.

Limping also lets all the suited connectors and all the other drawing hands into the pot cheaply, and these are exactly the hands that will end up breaking you when you flop TPTK.

The virtue of limping AK is that you may induce someone with AQ or AJ in late position to try and raise all the limpers. I guess it depends on the tenor of the table.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:01 PM

The occasional limp with AK is probably OK, as long as you're disciplined enough to get away from TPTK. I have a tough time with that, myself, so I don't do it, except occasionally in late position with an "any ace" sort to my left.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're open-folding JJ here in a Party $109 with 26 BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate JJ and this is why. I'm dancing on the edge of a razor blade in a stiff breeze. Whatever happens is going to be painful. I can't answer this hypothetical because I might go either way half the time.

CJ
Old 10-12-2005, 02:12 PM

With this hand I would raise 3-4xbb. Rarely do I limp it, unless I am very confident someone will bring in a raise behind.
I expect, a little dependent on type of player and stacks, callin range from players yet to act maybe in this region
QQ-55, AKs-ATs, KQs-KJs, QJs-QTs, JTs, T9s, AKo-AJo, KQo-KJo, QJo. Dependent upon number of caller and possible raises I would consider a push as reply. If anyone holds AA-KK so be it. Might consider a stop and go in some cases.

With this type of hands one would like to see all 5 cards most of the time