Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: why WSOP main event only 10K?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The WSOP will never be any more than that because most people just don't care. And there is nothing the WSOP can do to make any of the poker pros popular or prestigious outside a teeny, tiny group of people.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you must be an awesome poker player with the ability to tell the future like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you must be a total moran if you think otherwise, smartass. It doesn't take any brainpower to understand that poker will never be a mainstream entertainment event. I challenge you to compare the number of people who watch all the poker coverage in a year, versus one weekend of college or pro football. It amazes me that some people in this forum don't understand that just because we are crazy about poker, the average person couldn't give a damn.

NCAces
Old 10-29-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As like everything... it has to do with money.

The IRS and the federal government take transaction slips for every cash transaction over $10K in america, whether you are buying a car, making a cash bank deposit, ect. They are called either Race 10K or 10K stipulation forms.

Most poker players... especially people who play poker for a living... don't want the IRS or the feds to find out that someone who hasn't pay taxes for 10 year came up with $25K to enter one poker tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actully, if this is the same law that causes banks to report high cash deposits, the letter of the law is "10,000 dollers or more"
Old 10-29-2005, 07:09 PM

I will have an issue with the buy-in once people are left without playing because there isnt more capacity. Once people are left without playing the buy-in will have to be raised, but thats yet to happen.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you google for this topic, i bet you will find 4,000,000,000,000 other posts before you asking the same thing, on every single poker forum in existance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-29-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How in the hell could my post be taken as a personal attack. I didn't mention you the poster at all. It replied directly to your post. I also didn't put words in your mouth. You said the WSOP should be changed to a 50K buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) If you cannot control the tone of your posts then you shouldn't question people getting an "unintended" message from it.
2) Where did I say harrah's should change it to 50k?
Old 10-30-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The WSOP will never be any more than that because most people just don't care. And there is nothing the WSOP can do to make any of the poker pros popular or prestigious outside a teeny, tiny group of people.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you must be an awesome poker player with the ability to tell the future like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you must be a total moran if you think otherwise, smartass. It doesn't take any brainpower to understand that poker will never be a mainstream entertainment event. I challenge you to compare the number of people who watch all the poker coverage in a year, versus one weekend of college or pro football. It amazes me that some people in this forum don't understand that just because we are crazy about poker, the average person couldn't give a damn.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

Try doing a bit of research.
[ QUOTE ]
That's about twice the typical SportsCenter rating, and it's better than the average rating ESPN gets for regular-season games of such "major" sports as college football, Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association and the Professional Golfer's Association.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/09/comm...biz/sportsbiz/

Is it beating the main networks like ABC, NBC, CBS? probably not, but then they don't televise much poker...only one has attempted it thus far so there really is no comparing at this point.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:12 AM

NCaces I just had to go back and reread your statement.

I mean no disrespect but you gotta lay off the smack, the crack or chronic, whatever it is you be smoking boy...LOL

[ QUOTE ]

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is already a mainstream event. Never in the history of poker has it been more widely accepted.

Poker stars are just that now. Poker STARSSSSSS!!!!
They are dating hollywood starlets, being wooed by Hollywood leading men to teach them how to play.

I would wager that a larger majority of college males across america knows who Doyle Brunson is vs the starting gaurd for the Dallas Mavericks.

I would even wager that a surprisingly large number of college females would know too.

You're way off base man. Poker as Paris would say is HOT.

You can walk into Walgreens and find poker merchandise from chips, to tables to DVDS.

It's in Wal-mart, Kmart, anywhere and everywhere you turn there is poker.

And most of it was due to Chris Moneymaker winning the WSOP...that's why the event went from 2,700 to over 5,000.

Turn on tv and you're gonna find poker on somewhere. Whether it's Bravo, the Travel channel, Fox, or GSN. Poker is around.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:13 AM

I wrote out a long response reasoning why this post was foolish, then I decided to not even bother. Bafflement.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:08 AM

I can control the tone of my post. The tone intended in my post was "I do believe this idea is really really dumb" thinking someone's idea is dumb is not a personal attack. The only way for someone to take a person posting that an IDEA is a joke to them as a personal attack is if they are overly sensitive. It is a post on the internet, jesus, don't take the internet so seriously.

And where did you say it should be changed to 50K? In your post.

" Up it to 50k, weed out the idiots and let the good and great players duke it out. Winning that is an accomplishment, not a lottery."

Now, that sure does sound like you think it should be upped to 50K, and since Harrah's owns the WSOP, that would imply Harrah's should change it.

But, if you can't control the content of your post, you shouldn't question people getting an unintended message from it.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:47 AM

No, the very first words in my post were.

"I like 50k" I never said anything about harrahs period (since you seemed to miss that the 1st time), only that I would like to see it changed to 50k. My own personal preference.

I'll tell you the difference between my post and yours. I quoted someone to show my support and express my personal preference on the subject. You quoted someone just to tell them that THEIR PREFERENCE is dumb and quote "you LAUGH" at what they prefer. That is a personal attack. If you do not want that message to come across you shouldn't quote me or you should reply in a mature manner.