Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 10:47 PM

Default TD 2-7: an unusual blind defense

I know three things about Villian:

1) He's agggressive and willing to try stealing from the button.
2) He's a short stack. He bought in for only about 12BB and most of it is gone now. He hardly ever rebuys.
3) He's played with me before and may know that I occasionally snow.

My play here is either to raise and stand pat, or fold. My draw is crap. As a made hand, though, it will stand up 55% of the time vs 723xx and 65% vs. 72xxx. So I decided to stand pat and see what happened. After the first round he only has enough to put in one bet per street, so I don't need to fear a raise.

The river bet is one I'd ordinarily never make with this hand. But Villian has only 1 BB left, so I thought he would have a much wider calling standard here due to 'last hand' psychology.

Thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------

$1/$2 Triple Draw 2-7 at UltimateBet

Hero is at seat 0 with $112.25.
A is at seat 3 with $91.
Villian is at seat 4 with $8.
B is at seat 5 with $95.75.
The button is at seat 4.

B posts the small blind of $.50.
Hero posts the big blind of $1.

Hero: 6c 8h 4s 9h 7d

First Round:

A folds. Villian raises to $2. B
folds. Hero re-raises to $3. Villian calls.

Hero stands pat. Villian takes 3 cards.

Second Round:

Hero bets $1. Villian calls.

Hero stands pat. Villian takes 1 card.

Villian: -- -- -- -- --

Third Round:

Hero bets $2. Villian calls.

Hero stands pat. Villian takes 1 card.

Villian: -- -- -- -- --

Final Round:

Hero bets $2. Villian goes all-in for $2.

Showdown:

Hero shows 9h 8h 7d 6c 4s.
Hero has 9 8 7 6 4.
Villian shows Kc 7h 5c 3c 2c.
Villian has K 7 5 3 2.

Hand #8371356-1486 Summary:

$.75 is raked from a pot of $16.50.
Hero wins $15.75 with 9 8 7 6 4.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-19-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: TD 2-7: an unusual blind defense

You reasoning seems logical to me. Nice hand. Move up. Your playing down to the donkeys, and we need you to start games at $2/4 and $3/6.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My play here is either to raise and stand pat, or fold. My draw is crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would never draw to a 764? Ever? What about a 754 or a 643? 743 you would defend right? 843,853?

I think I can get away with this garbage in the .5-1 game but the 1-2 game seemed more aggresive and a lot of those hands probably wouldnt have much value defending huh?

[ QUOTE ]
As a made hand, though, it will stand up 55% of the time vs 723xx and 65% vs. 72xxx. So I decided to stand pat and see what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good...

Would you have made thsi same move against this player if they had 100$ behind?(I am thinking NO) If you would then what would your plan be if they didnt draw three?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:57 PM

Nah, I am one of the donkeys. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Month to date Triple Draw:
$1/$2: -$86.25
$2/$4: +$196.75
$3/$6: -$183.00
Old 09-20-2005, 12:12 AM

eh, variance is stupid. A couple of the regular 1-2 guys dropped down to play me today in the .5 game and I noticed a lot of holes in some of their play. I am sure you will be KILLING that game once you get more hands under your belt. They were making some pretty basic mistakes. Once(IF) I get a comfortable amount of BR on UB I will move up to the 1-2 games. Give you guys some fresh meat...probably wont be for another week or two though. The money at either level doesnt mean a ton to me but the rake in the .5 game is just stupid. Its turning into a principal issue. UB should pay me because I start that game almost twice everyday. I also played some HU 1-2 O8 today and the rake seemed almost even worse...then I watch the big HU 3-6 games and .50 max is taken from everypot. I think it was the same in my HU O8 match...sooo silly.

Taking a wild guess here...but I would imagine if you tried to start a 3-6 or a 4-8 game a lot of HE fishes would come over and play and the game would be softer than the 1-2 that has a lot of regulars. I could imagine the game attracting a lot of HE guys who play for mucho dinero. I know this happens sometimes(little more than sometimes, but not too often) when I play O8 and S8. That must just be PP though...You would probably have to a tough HU opponent to start the game but on a friday night or something I could see some HE guys dropping in...for sure.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My play here is either to raise and stand pat, or fold. My draw is crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would never draw to a 764? Ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

What never? Hardly ever.

[ QUOTE ]

What about a 754 or a 643? 743 you would defend right? 843,853?

I think I can get away with this garbage in the .5-1 game but the 1-2 game seemed more aggresive and a lot of those hands probably wouldnt have much value defending huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

754 and 743 are fine but you need to be willing to fold them. I think 346 is crap. 345 is marginal for me; I'm more willing to steal than defend with it. 843 and 853 can be trouble hands but worth defending or stealing with; I will usually play both HU but they are ugly OOP.

[ QUOTE ]

Would you have made this same move against this player if they had 100$ behind?(I am thinking NO) If you would then what would your plan be if they didnt draw three?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the problem with playing this against a bigger stack is that if you get a raise on the 3rd round you pretty much have to fold. It might still be worth playing against an opponent who will give up a failed steal when you stand pat. But it is not worth breaking this hand and drawing to an 8764x since virtually anything that raises you is either an attempt to make you break or better than an 876. It is certainly not worth a big bet to draw to 764xx in a pot the size we're talking about here. So the potential for being outplayed and either giving up the pot or calling incorrectly is very high. Against the right-sized stack you can call a raise and take the free showdown for 1 BB instead of paying 2BB. (7:1 odds that your hand is still good vs. 4:1 odds that it is.)

A hand like 98643 has a redraw that has somewhat more value, but I'm not sure it's worth standing pat with it for the first draw OOP. Making the 86 is a lot more valuable and lessens the chance that you are outplayed. The same hand would be great in position, especially against someone who drew 3 the first round.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The money at either level doesnt mean a ton to me but the rake in the .5 game is just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hardly ever play below $1/$2 because of the rake, especially HU. Having the UltimatePoints capped at 0.50/hand sucks too, although I just got $50 in unmentionable for the first half of the month, which is not too bad...

I think part of the problem is that I used to play quite a bit of $1/$2 heads-up or shorthanded, and now we are seeing more and more full tables. It requires some adjustments, which I make sometimes (and if I hit well I have a +$120 night) and don't other times (and if I do poorly I get a -$80 night.)
Old 09-20-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Taking a wild guess here...but I would imagine if you tried to start a 3-6 or a 4-8 game a lot of HE fishes would come over and play and the game would be softer than the 1-2 that has a lot of regulars.

[/ QUOTE ]

2/4 seems to be the prime spot for this. However, part of the reason 1/2 has regulars is that several times a day someone drops into the 1/2 game without reading the rules first.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Taking a wild guess here...but I would imagine if you tried to start a 3-6 or a 4-8 game a lot of HE fishes would come over and play and the game would be softer than the 1-2 that has a lot of regulars.

[/ QUOTE ]

2/4 seems to be the prime spot for this. However, part of the reason 1/2 has regulars is that several times a day someone drops into the 1/2 game without reading the rules first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even at 10/20, you'll notice a lot of the players are 30/60 or 80/160 HE players.