Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Help me settle this dispute with a 2+2er ($215)

Going to have to disagree with you here, again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I like checking the flop with this many players. The chance of somebody hitting and going for a check raise is high, and you can get paif off well on a turn heart. Once you hit you better bet half pot though, no more free cards, and even the one shtat do won't give you an inordinate amount of action.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:02 AM

I build a pot and bet the flop, turn, river

bet!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:13 AM

I like checking these flops too.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:45 AM

I'm betting 50 here and hoping somebody has 6x6h and decides to get frisky or something.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I say check. Pray a heart does come down on the river and a T may bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed your post, he would still have the nuts

greg

[/ QUOTE ]

His post didn't need fixing, except for the part where he checks.

A heart will scare away almost all hands that may have called/bet if a non-heart fell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but it might also induce a once card flush to make a stupid move. With the nut flush he would be in a very nice position.

By checking it through the likelyhood of someone having anything decent here is very low. Maybe another heart makes someone an expensive second best hand. Plus another heart means no full house (Except for the 2h).

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Still think a heart's the only thing that really hurts you on the river.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
About the only way you are getting paid is if someone makes a horrible play, puts you on a steal and comes over top. Not betting could give a free card to a set, the pot is a decent size, just take er down.

Beefcake

[/ QUOTE ]

Does a set typically let this check through when the third heart hits the turn? On that same note, does a set let the pot on a two heart flop stay closed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-27-2005, 10:04 AM

Preflop: Raise to 250. A limp from 3 off the button by a stack you have covered screams he wants to see the flop cheap.

Flop: Bet 100-150. The board suggests nobody hit the flop, but since you really didn't either, you should try to win what's in the middle right now.

Turn: If the dispute here is between betting and checking, ask yourself this - what card do you want to come on the river that will help you take more chips from your opponent(s)? The way I see it, the only card that helps you increase what you win is a non-heart broadway card. Thus if you won't get called on the turn, you won't get called on the river 80% of the time.

If you think one of your opponents will bluff the river if a blank falls, check. If you think one of them will play sherrif and call you down with something like 88 or JT. bet about half the pot.

In the long run, I think the choices are close enough that neither choice is a bad one.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does a set typically let this check through when the third heart hits the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, thats why you typically aren't getting paid on this hand.

Beefcake
Old 08-27-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does a set typically let this check through when the third heart hits the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, thats why you typically aren't getting paid on this hand.

Beefcake

[/ QUOTE ]

. ..ummmm, beefy, i was just responding to your OP [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
About the only way you are getting paid is if someone makes a horrible play, puts you on a steal and comes over top. Not betting could give a free card to a set , the pot is a decent size, just take er down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-27-2005, 03:38 PM

I think the difference between betting and checking is negligible. I'm a subscriber of the "when truly in doubt, bet" line of thinking, but I don't think anyone's getting rich exploiting the edge on either side of this coin.

However, I'm not a fan of the pre-flop call. I am not sold on the mechanical "x callers in the pot, which means I raise with yy" line of thinking. I think you can effectively eliminate the "limp-reraise monster" hand from a middle position caller. I think AK and QQ are pretty darned unlikely as well. AQ and JJ are more likely than the other hands of which you're afraid, but those are still raising hands.

You want the lead against every other hand. I know that I don't need to extoll the virtues of having the lead in an overcards v. pp situation.