Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 08:13 PM

Default THE ANSWER and another question

My search for information on Norton's Diagnostic program revealed that it is known to provide false positive results (i.e., falsely detect errors) on systems with more than 256mb of RAM. [In my case, it not only detected errors but also caused insufficient memory error messages.] I hate when I have to solve problems myself! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

A couple of sources said that the Norton diagnostic program would run correctly if I first edited the VCACHE values in the system.ini file through use of the SYSEDIT program. This led to my discovery that there is no SYSEDIT program on my computer. Is this reason for concern? Assuming that the Norton Diagnostic program is crap, is there any RAM-related reason for me to mess around with the SYSTEM.INI file?

-MJS
Old 03-29-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Looking for Help with Computer Problem

Probability that Norton is wrong is nearly 100%.

What is the probability that you did not update your BIOS as required?

Dell BIOS update
Old 03-29-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the probability that you did not update your BIOS as required?

Dell BIOS update

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears the probability is nearly 100% [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Though the current BIOS update on that page is only for WinXP users, the previous update (from 10/2001) appears to be different than my BIOS version. Do you think my computer may behave better with a new BIOS? I guess I'll find out!

-MJS
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Re: UPDATE: memtest86 results

[ QUOTE ]
You probably need to look at the size of your swap file, which iirc doesn't get automatically adjusted by windows when you increase your RAM. You should find this lurking under System, System Properties, Advanced, Performance Options and look for something called "Total paging size" or Virtual Memory.

As a rough rule of thumb, this should be a size at least twice the amount of RAM on your machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question about this. I have 512 ram and my virtual memory is at 768 (recommended) The maximum allowable size is 1536. Can I SAFELY change this to say, 1024??? What changes will I notice.

One of the reasons I ask is because I fooled around with this setting once before when I was running Win98se and my computer crashed. So I am hesitant to make any changes, but I will if it's safe and I'll notice an improvement in performance.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think my computer may behave better with a new BIOS?

[/ QUOTE ]

It might even work. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If you’ve never done a BIOS update, do be sure to print out the instructions. If something goes wrong your computer will probably be unbootable until you get the update done correctly, so follow those instructions exactly.

And don't be too worried if does take a couple of tries to get it done. Flash BIOS can be very finicky sometimes, and multiple attempts are not at all unusual.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...you're gonna have to have a decent test done on the memory, either from a tech company with the capability, or with expensive specialized software (not microsoft or norton).

[/ QUOTE ]

A few free or inexpensive memory testing programs are well regarded by some...especially "memtest86." What makes you think these programs are inadequate? Are you familiar with their false-negative error rates?

-MJS
Old 03-31-2005, 03:48 AM

Flashing the BIOS didn’t fix it? Or you didn’t flash it? You must flash it or the memory will not work.

If memtest86 says the memory is good, it is good. Move on.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flashing the BIOS didn’t fix it? Or you didn’t flash it? You must flash it or the memory will not work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure the memory will not work without flashing the BIOS? Though I have not flashed the BIOS, I am under the impression that the new RDRAM is working fine.

Because I believe that the biggest cause of my computer problems is my video adapter and drivers (my display usually is corrupted or blacks out during crashes), I chose to try to update my video drivers first. I thought this would be safer and easier than the BIOS thing. Well...after a couple of nervous hours with no video display except in safe mode [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], I've decided to wait until I do not need my computer as much as I do right now before fooling around with anything else.

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm scared of my computer! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards,

MJS
Old 03-31-2005, 03:42 PM

Read the page where you ordered the memory.

[ QUOTE ]
In order to upgrade, the customer must remove all existing system memory and replace completely. To upgrade the memory, a BIOS update is required. The latest BIOS revision and instructions on how to flash update the BIOS are located at www.support.dell.com

[/ QUOTE ]

“To upgrade the memory, a BIOS update is required.”

“a BIOS update is required.”

“Required.”

“.”
Old 03-31-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read somewhere that winME was rushed out by Microsoft marketing before it was really ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true of almost anything that comes from Microsoft, or just about any commercial software, as far as that goes.