Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Looking for Help with Computer Problem

My internet poker activity is being interrupted by my badly behaving computer. The problem (and my attempts to cope) involves Win ME, possibly defective RDRAM, the Norton Diagnostics program, and Microsoft's "Windows memory diagnostic" program. I'm not sure it would be appropriate to go into detail here. However, I would appreciate advice on where in the web I can find relevant expert advice.

Thanks!

MJS
Old 03-28-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Looking for Help with Computer Problem

[ QUOTE ]
My internet poker activity is being interrupted by my badly behaving computer. The problem (and my attempts to cope) involves Win ME, possibly defective RDRAM, the Norton Diagnostics program, and Microsoft's "Windows memory diagnostic" program. I'm not sure it would be appropriate to go into detail here. However, I would appreciate advice on where in the web I can find relevant expert advice.

Thanks!

MJS

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH!!! Cut bait and buy a new computer. Windows ME is a horrible piece of trash, and RDRAM is so potentially unreliable that you have to pay assloads to get a matched set with decent quality control. You'd be better off with a new e-machine (not that I think you should get one). Just consider replacing your machine instead of trying to repair it. If you're serious about repairing it, you're gonna have to have a decent test done on the memory, either from a tech company with the capability, or with expensive specialized software (not microsoft or norton). You're seriously better off buying a new machine that is more upgradable.

Freakin
Old 03-28-2005, 07:43 PM

If you're not willing to get a new machine, replace your RAM and get Windows 2000. Windows ME is the worst thing ever created.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:56 PM

It is the new replacement RAM [512mb PC800 RDRAM] that appears to be defective. The original RAM [128mb PC600 RDRAM] worked fine.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:59 PM

My machine is more than adequately speedy and upgradable for my needs. It is Pentium 4 with four drives installed and room for a 5th drive. I may try to upgrade the OS to Win XP though.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:01 PM

your problem is winME... garbage.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is the new replacement RAM [512mb PC800 RDRAM] that appears to be defective. The original RAM [128mb PC600 RDRAM] worked fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, RDRAM is extremely difficult to produce properly, and the defective rate is high. PC800 will be able to downstep fine to PC600, but you need to drop some serious cash on quality ram. Check out kingston, Micron, and PNY. Anythign you buy from Newegg.com will work, or you can exchange it. Faulty RAM will cause many problems. If you installed software while you had faulty ram, expect it to continue to act aberrant after you replace the ram. Wipe you whole drives and reinstall XP or 2k from scratch.

Freakin
Old 03-28-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PC800 will be able to downstep fine to PC600

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time I purchased my computer, PC800 RDRAM was the preferred RAM for the system but I got a good deal on a refurb that included the slower PC600 RDRAM. The new RDRAM is by Samsung and has the ECC feature and is supposed to be compatible with my Dell Dimension 8100 computer.

I have not provided details about the problem because I would like to find a more appropriate forum. Any suggestions?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your problem is winME... garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect we could both benefit from an upgraded operating system. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2005, 08:32 PM

Before you buy new RAM test it first with this:
http://www.memtest86.com/