Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: could a gambling addict ever be good at poker?

I thnk a gambling addict could definitely win at poker, I'm sure some pros are addicted gamblers.

The problem is that compulsive gamblers crave action and grinding out +EV plays at a poker table doesn't satisfy that need enough. I've read about great poker players who've lost their winnings at the craps table. Other compulsive gamblers might move up to a high-limit poker game they don't have the skill for, looking for the rush that comes from a big score.

But from a technical point of view, yes I think compulsive gamblers can win at poker - although they'll probably lose their money somewhere else.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Several GREAT poker players are pathological gamblers. Stu Ungar was just the best known.Some of the people you see on TV are deeply in debt because they can't keep away from negative EV games.

It's very sad, but unquestionably true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though I've never closely studied Stu, I know how fearless he was at the table. The pertinent question to the whole situation is this: was his fearlessnes a product of his poker skill, or of his addiction to action?

How does an addicted gambler ever lay down a hand?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:52 PM

My guess is that Ungar's fearlessness was a product of his addiction and his lack of respect for money.

I think Stuey could lay down hands when necessary because he hated losing so much. Although he made huge -EV bets all the time in other games, he did not stand the idea of losing versus other poker players, so he forced himself to stay out of action when he knew that was the right thing to do. At least I have got that impression.

Don't know about other addicted poker players, most of them obviously does not fold enough, but still don't play EVERY hand to showdown. I guess that even a guy who bluffs far too much realizes that he can't bluff at EVERY pot, and a even a guy who can't let go of a poor draw can lay it down when he does not even have a draw.

However, Barry Greenstein's comment about Stu is something to think about: BG wrote on his website that he had heard about many great calls Stu made, but never of any great laydowns.

Also, Ciaffone wrote in his column on Stu in Card Player that Stu lacked the ability to switch from his regular run-over-the-table playing style and tighten up when sitting at a very tough table at the WSOP with many top notch players. Stu won the most pots by far, but the pots he lost was much bigger, so his stack size decreased. I guess that weakness might be a product of his addiction.

Anyway, I don't really know that much about Stuey, I'm just speculating. He's a damn interesting persona though. Isn't there a book on him by Nolan Dalla that is supposed to be out soon? Does anyone know about this?
Old 03-19-2005, 12:55 AM

Id go as far as to say most good live no limit players are gambling addicts. Great players but horrible gamblers. They continually pay no attention to table selection and piss winnings away in massive losing sessions and craps.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:11 AM

Nolan's book will be out very soon.

Many of us are waiting eagerly. Stu was a fascinating guy, and Nolan is a great writer.

Regards,

Al