Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2002, 07:01 PM

Default Knocked out holding KK -- misplayed?

I finished 37th out of 589, with T470k in play.

Should I have laid down my kings against twin8s' check-raise? Folding would have left me at T3165, from where I would be blinded out soon. I thought it was so outlandish that my opponent would have played 86 for three bets that I was sure I was up against either a bluff, AJ, or AA. I didn't have a good read on my opponents, as I had been moved to this table about 10 minutes prior.

What do you think of twin8s' play?

Tournament hand history

[limits 1000 - 2000]
Multi-table Tourney Hand #9,241,001 (real money) played at 23 Nov 2002 5:03 PM (ET)

Seat 1: TheGecko ($4,755 in chips)
Seat 2: riverlove ($1,550 in chips)
Seat 3: Obwan ($2,180 in chips)
Seat 5: MCSlacky ($17,290 in chips)
Seat 6: twin8s ($30,715 in chips)
Seat 7: YouSirryGuy ($18,025 in chips)
Seat 8: MSchmahl ($9,165 in chips)
Seat 9: upland ($4,390 in chips)
Seat 10: carp22 ($7,325 in chips)
(MSchmahl is the dealer)
(Small blind posted by upland, big blind by carp22)

PRE-FLOP
upland posts blind, carp22 posts blind, TheGecko calls, riverlove folds, Obwan raises, MCSlacky folds, twin8s calls, YouSirryGuy folds, MSchmahl raises, upland folds, carp22 folds, TheGecko calls, Obwan is all-in, Obwan calls, twin8s calls.

FLOP [board cards: JC, 9H, 5D]
TheGecko checks, twin8s checks, MSchmahl bets, TheGecko calls, twin8s calls.

TURN [board cards: JC, 9H, 5D, 7S]
TheGecko checks, twin8s checks, MSchmahl bets, TheGecko folds, twin8s raises, MSchmahl calls.

RIVER [board cards: JC, 9H, 5D, 7S, 3C]
TheGecko checks, twin8s checks, MSchmahl bets, TheGecko folds, twin8s raises, MSchmahl calls.

SHOWDOWN
twin8s shows [8H,6H]
MSchmahl shows [KH,KS]
Obwan shows [AC,8C]

SUMMARY
Pot: $26,845
twin8s collects $26,845
Old 11-23-2002, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Knocked out holding KK -- misplayed?

maybe i missed it but was this limit or PL or NL?, If it was PL or NL then I would have raised more pre flop to get that ragged 8-6 out. If it was limit then u played it well, the raise on the turn, could have been a bluff, and with most of your stack committed to this pot it's almost impossible to lay this hand down and still have a chance to not be blinded out. hope that helps.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Knocked out holding KK -- misplayed?

If possible it is better to try to explain the hand rather than paste hand histories. You may get a few more responses.

A few things to think about. The initial raise was done by someone who is very shortstacked. Twins called the short stack cold and then called your re-raise. I would have folded 86s initially but once I call the initial raise I would call the re-raise.

Not sure if you have an error in your post. You say you were check-raised on the turn and river, but with 1000-2000 betting you barely have enough chips for a bet on the river.

With only 3165 left after your bet on the turn, I think you are committed must call his checkraise. The pot is too big plus if he only has 2 pair, you have outs to get a bigger 2 pair plus he could be overplaying top pair.

Ken Poklitar