Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Finally got a Royal Flush lol,

And it wasn't even worth anything...just a small portion to my horrible day today lol. Should I have raised the flop? bet the turn? I was goin for a check raise on the turn.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (3.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9c Jc (straight flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 4.50 BB. </font>
Old 05-30-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Finally got a Royal Flush lol,

Bet the turn.

But I bet you got too excited. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 03:52 AM

lol honestly I did. I was in shock. I agree I should have bet the turn, big mistake. Even if they all folded on the turn it would have been the same result as checking and betting the river and watching them all fold.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol honestly I did. I was in shock. I agree I should have bet the turn, big mistake. Even if they all folded on the turn it would have been the same result as checking and betting the river and watching them all fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bet the turn? You have the stone cold nuts, and nobody else apparently has a hand yet. Nobody is going to give you action if you bet, seeing as how there are four clubs out there, and every single one of your opponents are drawing dead, so you lose nothing by giving them a free card.

Personally, I think it's best to give them a free card and just hope that someone either makes a hand they'd be willing to bet into four clubs with or takes a stab at bluffing the pot. There seems to me to be no gain whatsoever in betting the turn here - only potential lost bets (the very slight possibility of potential lost bets, but possibility nonetheless). On the river, there is a good chance that a singleton club will take a stab at the pot, and there is the very slim (but still possible) chance that someone with two pair will make a full house on the river, in which case he, thinking that you just have a flush, will give you plenty of action.

I see absolutely no reason to bet on the turn here, unless you get some kind of bonus for ending the hand quickly.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:12 AM

Check the turn,
Check the river.

I've got a royal flush and i want everyone to see [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 02:31 PM

Interesting open limp preflop.... I'd usually fold that first in.

Bet the turn.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:29 PM

Why were you trying to check-raise CO on the turn? What indication did you have that he would bet?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:03 PM

CO was an agressive player that frequently bet pots that were checked to him in last position. Maybe the 4th flush card scared him from doing this.

Im confused about this hand. I dont know whether to check the turn and river hoping someone bets or just betting the turn or river.

l dunno what the odds of getting a royal flush is but I know its infrequent enough that I shouldnt worry too much. I'm more worried about slowplaying flopped monsters in general. Is the best thing to do just play passive hoping someone improves to second best? Last week I flopped a full house and slowplayed, 2 players got straights on the river and one got a flush. The river was capped and I got 25 BB if I remember correctly. Maybe Ill post it if I can find it.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting open limp preflop.... I'd usually fold that first in.

Bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell is everyone saying to bet the turn?? What could that possibly accomplish? Nobody is going to give you action, and it is impossible for you to get drawn out on, so a free card is 100% harmless!

Meanwhile, by checking the turn, you:
a) allow someone with a singleton club to maybe think that he has the best hand
b) allow someone to bluff at the pot on the river
c) give an opponent with two pair the possibility of making a full house on the river (in which case he'll give you all the action you want)

I don't understand why everybody is saying bet the turn. You're not going to get called (who's going to call you? the lone 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?), and you give the other two guys a chance to either make a hand or convince themselves that they already have the best hand or that taking a stab at the pot is worthwhile.

So yeah, just saying "bet the turn" without saying why - not exactly convincing here.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:48 AM

I happen to agree with betting the turn, but as you suggest, some explanation is in order. IMHO, it is pretty much never correct to slowplay the turn unless you're likely to get overcalls raising would scare away.

Let's say you're up against that two-pair hand - is it more likely they will call on the turn while thinking they are probably beaten but drawing to the boat or on the river after they miss it? Bet while they still have hope. If they don't call no matter what they hold, the chance they'll improve to a hand that will call on the river is incredibly small.

What about someone holding a straight or a set? He isn't going to bet, but he will very possibly call at least one bet. Let's give him a chance to call two.

Singleton club? Well if it exists we know it is a low one. He is *much* more likely to call on a prayer than to bet. Low clubs that may have called will almost certainly check this through.

Basically there is only one reason not to bet and that is if you think your opponent is more likely to bet than to call. That is a very small minority of hands / players and it would take a very strong read for me to take that approach. Even CrazyBluffingDrunkFishGuy knows what 4 clubs and two opponents means. Fortunately his inner fish is likely to "keep you honest" with a call but bluffing is pretty unlikely.

That's my take on it anyway.