Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Any reasons not to get this computer?

if this is bad, can someone point me in the right direction of better/cheaper? (x-post in internet, no one answered)

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...d=1126591861086

<ul type="square"> [*]Intel® Pentium® D processor 830 with 2 processing cores, 800MHz frontside bus, 2 x 1MB L2 cache and 3.0GHz processor speed [*]2GB PC4200 DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB [*]Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL media; 16x maximum speed DVD-ROM drive [*]320GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)[*]NVIDIA GeForce 6200 graphics with TurboCache technology and up to 256MB total video memory (64MB discrete, 256MB shared); S-video TV-out; Intel® High Definition Audio (7.1-channel support) [*]ATI Theater 550 Pro TV tuner with 3D-comb technology; function control using the included Media Center remote; FM antenna [/list]
[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-27-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Any reasons not to get this computer?

check out fatwallet.com.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:06 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Because it's sold out?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:08 PM

if i was going to pay for dual processing cores, i wouldnt be satisfied with only 3 GHz
Old 12-27-2005, 04:09 PM

For starters its a gateway,
2nd I dont like the multimedia PC's [the windows Media edition crap] I'd rather pay more and get a Buiness series computer and add what I want. I personally like the HP/CPQ PC's and add the sound card, hot vid card, etc etc . Usually there more reliable.

However, if someone points you to Dell or this, get this, Dell is far worse, any one whos done IT longer then a day will tell you that.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because it's sold out?

[/ QUOTE ]

not in my area
Old 12-27-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For starters its a gateway,
2nd I dont like the multimedia PC's [the windows Media edition crap] I'd rather pay more and get a Buiness series computer and add what I want. I personally like the HP/CPQ PC's and add the sound card, hot vid card, etc etc . Usually there more reliable.

However, if someone points you to Dell or this, get this, Dell is far worse, any one whos done IT longer then a day will tell you that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Another thing, do I need 2GB of RAM? I like to have a lot of programs up at once, and will play lots of games on it, but I think this may be excessive.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:18 PM

not now you dont, in the future it might come in handy , I doubt you will use it though day one, if your going to play alot of gaves get more video memory if you can, also the next gen operating systems will require more RAM so that's a reason to keep it.

I would say though as a general statement 1 GIG would suit you fine. I run a trading floor and all my traders only have 1 gig and tere running more programs then you can install on your PC.

Worse case you can always upgrade RAM.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:30 PM

For starters, what parts are made by gateway? The case? Don't be an idiot.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:37 PM

the , system build out, the specs they use ,the OS standards, the applications they install and the company in general

Hey if it was all just a case then you can get any pc, by all means go buy an e-machine

It's like saying buying an 6 cyl car with the same horepower should all be the same, its just a shell...