Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-11-2005, 08:10 PM

Default QQ vs. BPAT (Best Player at Table)

Commerce 400 NL, 5/10 Blinds, 9-handed

Hero has Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the Button.
Villain is in the SB.

Hero (Button): $1,200
Villain (SB): $2,300, exceedingly good player. The best at the table by a reasonable margin.

Three limpers, Hero (Button) makes it 60 to go, Villain (SB) raises to 120, folds around to Hero, Hero calls.

Flop (2 players, $280): 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain bets $150, Hero calls.

Turn (2 players, $580): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero...?

Comments on all streets welcome.

My gut: I like my flop call since Villain is much better than I am and I plan on playing this hand passively to the river. I have no idea where I am at any point in this hand, and I highly doubt I could find a bet that would tell me where I am. Of course, those of you who have experience against very good players may know of a good line to take. My plan was to check behind on the turn and call any reasonably-sized river bet. I'm not saying that's what I did, but that was my plan. Does my plan suck?
Old 12-11-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: QQ vs. BPAT (Best Player at Table)

2 options I see...Bet and fold to a raise or check and call a reasonable bet on river. I lean towards check/calling though.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:36 PM

Being "good" isn't really much of a read. It tells us nothing about how he actually plays or how he views you. If you've been liberal about raising from the button then this really changes the dynamics of this hand.

When I've played live the solid regulars pretty much stay out of each other's pots and carve up the fishies. With this action from one of them, I'd very probably fold the flop. But, everything I've read of LA games indicates they are nothing like the ultra-passive games around here. So without more information, there's not much we can say except "it depends."
Old 12-11-2005, 08:56 PM

The "Best Player at the table" minreraised you preflop from the blinds. Hmmm.

So AA-QQ, AK, a few lower pairs/suited connectors? Without knowing how often this guy reraises a button raise, it is tough to say. The minraise is what throws me. He wants you in the pot and/or wants you think he wants you in the pot. Should he expect that you'll give up on a steal if you don't hit the flop hard, in which case he's trying to resteal cheaply? Otherwise, that he minraised out of position makes JJ, TT or any A but AK pretty unlikely , because he needs a hand that he can play easily postflop to put himself in that position. But if he's really the BPAT he's not only doing this with AA-KK, so there's has to be a chance of JJ-TT, lower pairs, or something like T9s.

I think checking the turn is best. I can't imagine him having an ace other than AK, so you aren't giving him a free card too often, and even if you are, there's a reasonable chance he fires again with AQ or Aj or something on the river. Also the only strongish draw is JT and 2 of those outs are your money cards.

Check behind, call the river because the weird minreraise is AA-KK pretty often? Generally it seems like he can't have more than 2-4 outs if he's behind and the board is semi-ugly for your hand and most of the hand he could hold that you beat. Checking behind gets the most when ahead and loses the least when behind.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:06 PM

"Exceedingly Good PLayer" min-reraising PF?
Isn't this an oxymoron...
Old 12-11-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
sry dude, but i dont think you are qualified to comment.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
sry dude, but i dont think you are qualified to comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain? I mean i'm obviously a losing player with 8ptbb/100.
I'm not as good as i could be and i'm definately not the best on these forums. I don't give a [censored] if you don't agree with whatever I said (probaly agreeing with Garland's check/fold with AA) nor do i give a [censored] what you beleive the qualifications are to post.

There is no arguement to be made as to why the villain's min-checkraise PF was the correct play. If there is please inform me so I can min re-raise more often.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:44 PM

Villain didn't min-raise.

Dumle
Old 12-11-2005, 09:44 PM

I like to check here and call a reasonable bet on the river.

Dumle
Old 12-11-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain didn't min-raise.

Dumle

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically a minreraise is to 110. 10---> 60 ---> 110. But just doubling the bet is effectively a minraise. A pot size reraise would have been to 225. He's shutting out the limpers and isolating Hero. It's just odd that he would do this with such a small raise, especially when out of position.