Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-31-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Evidence AGAINST Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really want us to go piece by piece through the Bible and present evidence/rationale why events contained therein are likely not true?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, especially because when I asked you in an earlier thread what made you leave Christianity, you told me it was because the idea of God sounded implausible. Hardly an objective evaluation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you point me to this, because I've studied the NT cover-to-cover and the teachings of the church and also a lot of non-Christian sources and came to a very well-thought out opinion that the Bible was bunk. Your summation of my "conversion" is totally off the mark.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the Bible to be 100% true, word for word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then there is no point in anybody discussing this issue with you.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Would such a fabrication be so demanding as the God of the Bible?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent point. The God of the Bible is absolutely the LAST God any sinner in his right mind would invent. The fact that people don't get this is proof of their bias and lack of knowledge of Christianity.

What God did DS invent? What God did Islam invent? What God did Mormonism invent? But an honest Christian will tell you that he can never take his salvation for granted and it's theoretically possible he is still under the wrath of the God he "invented"? Most of us aren't that stupid.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really want us to go piece by piece through the Bible and present evidence/rationale why events contained therein are likely not true?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, especially because when I asked you in an earlier thread what made you leave Christianity, you told me it was because the idea of God sounded implausible. Hardly an objective evaluation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you point me to this, because I've studied the NT cover-to-cover and the teachings of the church and also a lot of non-Christian sources and came to a very well-thought out opinion that the Bible was bunk. Your summation of my "conversion" is totally off the mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

here
KIDLUCKEE:
It was based on the Bible (and how I was raised and educated, of course). I read the Bible myself and took my faith very seriously.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TXAG007:
So how did you reason the Bible to be incorrect? The reason I ask is because I believe appearances of conflict within the Bible to be resolved when placed in the proper context.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KIDLUCKEE:
A "god" created the universe.

He sent his "son" to save us from our "sins."

If we have "faith" in this "god" we will have "eternal" life.

These are but a few of the "details" that trouble me. Are they so easily resolved?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here
KIDLUCKEE:
It was based on the Bible (and how I was raised and educated, of course). I read the Bible myself and took my faith very seriously.
TXAG007:
So how did you reason the Bible to be incorrect? The reason I ask is because I believe appearances of conflict within the Bible to be resolved when placed in the proper context.
KIDLUCKEE:
A "god" created the universe.

He sent his "son" to save us from our "sins."

If we have "faith" in this "god" we will have "eternal" life.

These are but a few of the "details" that trouble me. Are they so easily resolved?

[/ QUOTE ]

And you think my response in that thread equates to your original characterization? This is further example why debate with you is futile. My point in that thread was that my turn from the faith wasn't due to some minor inconsistencies (as you alluded to) but were due to the very basic axioms of the faith.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The God of the Bible is absolutely the LAST God any sinner in his right mind would invent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two problems here. First, if you truly believe this, you must concede that God in the Bible is vindictive and cruel. If you believe the God in the Bible is graceful and wants you to go to heaven, you are lying with this statement. Second, an angry God who is willing to punish and demands your faith is exactly the first kind of God powerful monarchs and dictators would create.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

First, if you truly believe this, you must concede that God in the Bible is vindictive and cruel. If you believe the God in the Bible is graceful and wants you to go to heaven, you are lying with this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if I'm a sinner, guilty before God, Who would be just to condemn me. A just God is not what I would be looking for. The great grandfather in the sky that so many atheists think we believe in is what I would want.

[ QUOTE ]

the first kind of God powerful monarchs and dictators would create.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean powerful monarchs and dictators like Jesus (crucified), Peter (crucified upside down) and Paul (also martyred)?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Would such a fabrication be so demanding as the God of the Bible? The Biblical God is 100% holy and demands that we be as well. Living more morally than those around us is not enough to gain His acceptance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does God create beings that are incapable of doing what he wants to accept them? By this reasoning, each and every one of us were created by God who KNEW we couldn't be 100% holy, yet expects us to be anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
We give up the idea of Santa Claus by age 10. Why do we hold on to the idea of God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupidity? I stopped believing around 12 ^_^
Old 10-31-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The God of the Bible is absolutely the LAST God any sinner in his right mind would invent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if said sinner's purpose was not to uplift, but to enslave his fellow humans. In that case, he couldn't have done much better.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not if I'm a sinner, guilty before God, Who would be just to condemn me. A just God is not what I would be looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe this than you believe there is no difference between yourself and Hitler.