Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Michelle Wie goes pro

turning pro before 16th birthday

This is a very interesting decision if only based on the fact that she has never won anything. Her peers, Morgan Pressel and Paual Creamer, have won the Women's Amateur and lead the U.S. to victory in the Solheim Cup. So Wie is turning pro without having won an event and is going to make a ton of money without actually succeeding. A recipe for success? I think not.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Michelle Wie goes pro

i want her to go pro on my driver when she hits 18
Old 09-20-2005, 06:27 PM

its womans golf. Who cares?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its womans golf. Who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. I had $30 riding on the fact that she wouldn't turn pro by the end of this year. I guess her stated desire to play golf in college was nothing compared to the millions she can make in endorsements. Urgh.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 PM

Turning pro is also not compatible with her long term goals. In another article I read today, BJ was quoted about her long term goals. Basically what he said was her goal wasn't to be a member of the LPGA but was to compete with the men. If that really is the case she is in for a rough ride I think. She can't compete with the men now and years of appearance fee golf in Asia won't get her there. I doubt she can do it anyway, but I think she is going to have some problems. She is going to be financially secure if anybody with half a brain helps with the money, so in that sense she will be OK. But someday she just might wake up and feel like she pissed away her talent. Perhaps not. I hope not. But the more I see the more I predict a disappointing career. She is too talented to totally blow it, but it isn't at all clear she will have a career approaching Annika's even though she has more talent. And competing with the men???? How many Jason Gores does she have to beat on a consistent basis before she can pretend to have met her goals?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:12 PM

This is good news. Now my friends in Japan (where women's golf is far more popular than men's) will be able to see a snobby americanized korean hottie in the constant, dreadful, hated golf and drink commercials instead of the cute understated Miyazato Ai, since Wie will be playing there like 15 times a year collecting huge appearance fees and winning 2 out of 3 times.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:27 PM

i'd hit it.