Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-26-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: why the disparity between knowledge and results?

[ QUOTE ]
Why, in your opinion can [b]literally hundreds of thousands of players [b]buy proven how to poker books and not translate the knowledge into consistent cash results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you 100% sure about that? I know 2+2 recently sold its 1,000,000th book. I've bought about a dozen poker books myself, and I've been playing less than a year. I could easily imagine that fewer than 100,000 distinct people in this country have ever purchased (much less read) two or more poker books.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:13 PM

it has been estimated that about 50 million people play poker at some level...to imagine that 2 or 3% have bought poker books is not beyond my imagination...if you have an "opinion" about the question please share
Old 12-26-2005, 09:50 PM

should read... to imagine that .2 or .3% have bought poker books...
Old 12-27-2005, 07:05 AM

I kind of knew that. Thanks for the feedback.

My real point tho, was that people tend to READ, not STUDY. There is a difference.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 09:02 AM

excellent post.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why, in your opinion can literally hundreds of thousands of players buy proven how to poker books and not translate the knowledge into consistent cash results?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO...

1) Selection - There are dozens of poker books out there, a good percentage of them (perhaps the majority of them) teach incorrect play.

2) Comphrension - Poker is not easy. I don't think anyone with "average" intelligence can fully absorb a book like SSH.

3) Application - What type of games do we apply HEPAP versus SSH versus ToP versus HoH against? How about this particular opponent? How about in a tournament versus cash game?

4) Emotional / Discipline - Everyone goes on tilt, it's a matter of when and how you react to it.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) They are stupid. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Talking to people who have an 'average' intelligence sometimes frustrates me. And then to think that half the people are even less intelligent...

2) They do not work at their game. They might read a book once but they don't study it and truely take the time to think about their game.

[/ QUOTE ]