Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Please evaluate

Preflop - Limping first time is shady at best, fold after the raise. I'll go further here - with that action to you - FOLD JQs.

Postflop - Calling is out of question. Reraise all-in or fold.
You've managed to get yourself in a situation where you have a hand that's not CURRENTLY best, but you have outs and the pot size is significant. It's a tough decision and requires some good reads on the villain to do a right move.

Pushing is a very minor +EV move here with no reads on the villain. Folding you're out t120 and hopefully learn not to call PF raises with cr@p hands.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:30 AM

thx morn..i know the preflop play was questionable..it as just onw of those things where a ROYAL flush woulda looked pretty :}
Old 12-25-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Pushing is a very minor +EV move here with no reads on the villain. Folding you're out t120 and hopefully learn not to call PF raises with cr@p hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a push is +EV. If he were heads up, that might be the case, but I think the As is out in the field often enough and the table loose enough that at least 30% of the time he's all-in 3 handed with no flush outs.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:46 AM

preflop call is not bad at all so all you people who are just like fold preflop, just because you cant play poker postflop doesnt mean others cant.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop call is not bad at all so all you people who are just like fold preflop, just because you cant play poker postflop doesnt mean others cant.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats up, people that are playing JQo for 10% of their stack pf in level 1 make me money at the 55s. tell me when you move up.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to tighten up a lot. I like to play postflop, but not with garbage.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:30 AM

Hey man...So I'd like to preface this with the fact that I suck.

That said I'm actually gonna take a stab at offering some helpful advice. (From one broke poker player playing the $5s (I'm even playing a lot of $3s lately) to another.)

First:

As for your post-flop question:
I think if you're going to decide to PLAY QJo in that spot - you can't fold when you pick up an Outside striaght flush draw plus a pair. Thats WAY too weak-tight for me. So if you're deciding to commit as much of your stack as you did pre-flop - this flop is a no-brainer push IMO. At least one guy will call you. Hopefully that top pair or bottom two or some crap...but likely you're looking at a set here given the action described. (Those damn BB raisers more often have those mid-big pairs than AJo it seems...)

Pre-flop:
I understand you're thinking...and I have played the same way for MANY MANY tourneys...but heres something to think about:

if there other players are going to play CRAP PF. Why join them and put yourself in such a mediocre spot? IF the flop is Qxx and you're facing a CB what do you do? Jxx flop - what do you do? You could quite easily end up playing the hand out the same way as the people you're refering to. Trust me - I've been there and done that too. I know.

Sure - it COULD be 66 or A10s OR 22 OR....but why even put yourself in those spots? If they're that "bad" why not put yourself in better spots and easier to play spots? Why risk it over such marginal spot?

Just some thoughts from a fellow low limit player...but like I said... I suck. (breakeven player mostly...)

I have tried MANY MANY strategies, and lately am re-settling into the classic very TAG play. Why play the same way the donks do? You're advantage is knowing what cards to play or fold, when and why. I've fallen into the trap several times of thinking I was better so I could play more recklessly...(read: like 'them') because I could 'play better' post-flop or 'out-play' them. (Read: FPS and leak of bluffing too much.) But thats a thought process that only costs you money.

Honestly in your spot in this hand...if the flop came QJ6 rainbow - I would really have to sit there and wonder if I even have the best hand or not...
Old 12-25-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know he didn't originally say it was a $5, but how do so many people limp and then call a big raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my biggest frustration right now. Every time I bust lately its to a limp/caller.

They limp for T100 - T200 and then call like 85% to 100% of their stack with hands like KJs or pocket 3s.

Sometimes I'll get calls from like...pocket 8s ... or A10s...those calls make half-sense...but its really annoying..

I should be able to look at loosey limpers, see AJo in my BB and safely push my FE. What? oh look. You limped with ducks and are now calling for 95% of your stack....
Old 12-25-2005, 04:02 AM

I think he meant the initial limp....which I believe is wrong also. I doubt very highly he meant call the raise and play poker hahaha....at least I hope [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].
Old 12-25-2005, 08:49 AM

His post said that it was folded around after villain's bet, so he's already HU.