Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-28-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Bump-o-licious

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i found out in mexico that you can do 5 dives in mexico and become a certified diver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they really get PADI certified that way? It sounds to easy. You could easily spend a week in Cancun and get that done.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it was for a PADI certification. i was in akumal, mexico, south of cancun. yes, it does sound too easy. i had to ask a few times to be certain. the place i did my dives through was a PADI dive shop.

retain your documentation for your dives in case you want to go that route some day.

EDIT: maybe check the PADI website for more info
Old 11-28-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Scuba Questions

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you aren't a keeper =).

[/ QUOTE ]

As sad as this may sound, I had to play keeper for 2 years because I was the best at it. This year, I came back out onto the field to lead the team in scoring. Oh yeah, I missed the first 3 games of the season too.

As far as the fitness goes, we had no subs this season, so I got 90 minutes in every week.

Joe [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
retain your documentation for your dives in case you want to go that route some day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on it. Thanks for the info.

Joe
Old 11-30-2005, 10:16 PM

Getting PADI certified is very easy. Here in Vietnam (and this is common and accepted practice in all resort areas) we do one full day in the pool with a lot of exercises and then two days (four dives) in the ocean where some of the exercises are repeated. There is also videos to watch etc.

In the US, they will take more time overall to do the exact same thing. That is they will break up the pool sessions over a few weekends and probably the four dives over four days. There is a shop in New London with a very pleasant young lady who can take you through all this, is you like.

The longer method has advantages in that you spend more time with the skills in the pool. If you get a sloppy instructor at the resort he will hurry through the skills, rather than assuring mastery of the skills in the pool. The open water dives are pretty much the same.

if you do plan to get certified talk to a couple of instructors (as in interview them) and find someone who's style you are comfortable with. Also make sure they do the pool sessions in a pool with a shallow end (like 1 meter or less) some places will take you out into a bay rather than pay for a pool-- I would not recommend that.