Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Reverse Implied Odds example

I agree that people throw around "reverse implied odds" in spots where they don't apply. I suppose that drawing at a hand that might not be good *could* be a case since we could be losing more money... but from what TOP has to say about I don't think that is really the spirit of the term.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:45 PM

"Still, folding is best because your odds of being good at the end of the hand are less than the effective odds you are being offered to see a showdown."

Neglect the money in the pot for a second. There are only two aces left in the deck, and the villain needs a better ace to beat you. The bet in this position could mean anything from a weak club draw, a weak flush, a pair other than aces (betting position on a scary board), a better ace or a worse ace. Obviously we are in trouble if he has the weak flush or a better ace, but does he have the better ace or flush more than 50% of the time? If not, arn't we getting 1:1 for each bet we put in (assuming the checkraise will knock out the other two, and if not they are probably on the flush draw drawing incorrectly, atleast on the flop)?

This is the way I have always thought of this play, but as I write it down I think I might see the error in this way of thinking. Because of our position when we are ahead we dont get called on the river? Now I've confused myself even more because of the money in PF should compensate for this.

How does your play change if there is 2 to a flush out given the same action?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:13 PM

Bet out the flop. given your line I'd c/r flop and B/f turn
Old 11-22-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you betting to protect your hand, or scare ppl off from a monotone board?

What do you do on the turn if a club hits with multiple oppenents left? Just one opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm betting because I might have the best hand and you don't want to give a free card. If you get called and the turn is a club you can bet/fold against if it's HU or check-fold if it's multiway.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:53 PM

RAISE!!! not raising here is a huge mistake. you have top pair and need to bloat the pot. This move is high variance because sometimes you will lose a lot but other times you will win a lot.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RAISE!!! not raising here is a huge mistake. you have top pair and need to bloat the pot. This move is high variance because sometimes you will lose a lot but other times you will win a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully this comes out without being rude, but this is ridiculous.

I might go for a raise at this point as I feel it's better than calling. But, folding can't be that bad, and depending on the player here, it may be best. Calling any of the 3 options here a huge mistake is a severe overstatement.

And if I do raise, I'm certainly not hoping to "bloat the pot".
Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 PM

I bet the flop.

Since you checked the flop, just call that bet and then donk a blank turn, and check/fold a club.

Will