Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Party Poker CPU usage

On my desktop (AMD Athlon 2600 XP - 2.xx Ghz; 99x megs RAM) it's ranging between 55 and 75 (back and forth) at certain times. Any ideas and is this normal?

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Party Poker CPU usage

Mine shows 0%. I have a Pentium 3.39 with 2GB RAM though.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:06 PM

Same, Pentium 3.39 with 1GB RAM, usually 0 and never goes above 4%.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 PM

I think that memory is the key and that PPs software is very memory hoggy in not reusing memory previously allocated to different tables and list views you have had open. This is why people with small amounts of memory have freezing and have to reboot. And it's even worse if someone is running 98/ME since XP's memory management is better.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:10 PM

I have had similar issues since the skins break up and software upgrade. Any time I open a 7th table my computer is very laggy. Should I buy more memory or an external hard drive.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:56 PM

Buying and external hdd will not speed up your computer. Read time will be slower than from an internal. However, buying an external hdd is a great idea for different reasons--easy transfer or large files between multiple computers w/o a network; BACKUPS!!! of your data; archiving infrequently accessed data; many other things.

More memory is a great idea, and will likely reduce lag.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:15 AM

Sorry guys, that orginial post does look rather confusing. I have 990-something megs of RAM (1024 total, but some of it is used by the onboard graphics chip or whatever).

So, now what. Dial-up internet have anything to do with this?
Old 11-16-2005, 02:42 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 512 MB RAM

When at party poker I have 10 tables open, PT, PAHUD, and PartyMine(sometimes close this before I start to play). While I'm playing I notice that my computer takes a bit longer to react and I have to click several times for it to register, but my CPU usage ranges from 10%-60%. However, when PT updates every 5 minutes it is a huge system drain (as expected) and my CPU usage ranges from 97%-100%, my computer as a whole slows down it reaction time, and my fan instantly goes crazy.

If I upgraded to 1256MB RAM what would the effect be on
-Non PT update play
-PT update play
-Fan noise

What about maxing out my system to 2GB RAM, something that I plan to do if/when I need too.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to keep the fan on my computer from being so loud. If my computer is on during the day it constantly droning in the background. I have a cooling pad, which helps, but most computers are quieter in use than mine idling.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:47 PM

After thinking about it a little bit it seems like adding more RAM should have no impact over the noisy fan. The others I still don't know about though.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 PM

Since PT is a database program and PA HDU accesses said database, adding more RAM is only going to help. I have 2 GB in my system currently, and definitely suggest moving up to at least 1GB of total RAM.