Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-15-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: I got screwed... help

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Find another non-profit to volunteer at. Do the 25 hours. Turn in the form showing 25 at each and disclose why you were fired.

If UI gives you a hard time about this, threaten to sue. Claim they are violating your First Amendment rights for discounting 25 hours worked due to a statement you made. Emphasize that the inquiry is not an act -- you didn't pay someone to work your hours, you simply asked if this is possible.

The argument is likely a loser but is colorable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew you guys had the right to free speech when you're in the streets or whatever, but do you have the right to free speech at work? I mean, it's not like you can just repeatedly call your boss a douchebag and not get fired, right? That would be pretty weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you can't. And no, it's not an issue of defamation either. You simply do not have the right to speak freely at work, and the 1st Am'd does not apply.

The reason why the 1st is a potentially useful avenue here is because his claim would be against the university -- a public institution. The institution cannot take acts against you for your speech because it operates as an arm of the state.

The argument here? OP was required by the state to work 50 hrs of community service or it would take action against OP. OP did 25 hours in Job B, of which is undisputed and not in issue. He also did 25 at Job A (the one from which he was fired). This, too, is undisputed. The school is refusing to honor the hours worked at Job A. They are refusing to do so because of his speech -- he was curious about the employer's policy and inquired. That the employer fired him for that speech is immaterial, as he is not claiming that he did 50 hours.

I am not claiming that such an argument would win the day. But it is at least credible, and that may be enough to get OP back at UIUC.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because I'm naive and a retard. I just wanted to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can be a pretty touchy hardass sometimes, but this doesn't fire off my jackass sensors like it seems to have done for some other people. Asking may reveal you to be the kind of guy who "just doesn't get it" or something, but that's not exactly a crime. And you probably wouldn't even be there in the first place if you really were the type who "gets it," so where's the big surprise?

If I were the supervisor, I would have just rolled my eyes, maybe spit out a harsh word or two, and forgotten about it.

Plus, you did put in those 25 hours. Trying to screw you up on those is way worse than asking a dipsh*t question or trying to be a weasel. Even a weasel's earned hours are, well, earned. The supervisor's punishment was worse than the crime.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about something like, "Wow, that wasn't the response I'd anticipated. If the answer is no, that's okay, but I'd like to finish my time here."

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone who does community service is there because they have to. It is this reason why his question made him look like a young disrespectful douche. Furthermore, helping people who can't afford food and then asking if you can pay someone to do it for you make you look arrogant to boot.

There's a reason why institutions make young people work in charitable ways instead of pay fines, and it's not solely to help the needy- kudos to the supervisor
Old 10-16-2005, 12:06 AM

Sorry I can't help. I just wanted to say that a better title would have been, "I screwed myself...help"
Old 10-16-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe one of you help with a charity foundation somewhere nearby and I can say I volunteered there?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a douchebaggish thing to ask, and a douchebaggish thing to do, and you are a douchebag for considering it. You effed up; reap what you sow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're pretty pathetic.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:28 AM

Go look for other stuff in the area, ask family friends for help.

If at all possible, meet with the person who is in charge of letting you back into school and alert them of your plans to find immediate community service projects and your interest in being put back into school. I think if you are professional about it, you'll be treated that way.

Tough situation, just do the best you can man.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe one of you help with a charity foundation somewhere nearby and I can say I volunteered there?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a douchebaggish thing to ask, and a douchebaggish thing to do, and you are a douchebag for considering it. You effed up; reap what you sow.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, I am such a pathetic douchebag for trying to do the actual work, but when a supervisor with a dick up his ass decides to [censored] me, I try to look for any alternative to go to school. Wow, I am such an [censored]. People like me should not be allowed to live. Go [censored] yourself.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:41 AM

I take it you have never worked at a Nonprofit before? I did for a handful of years and I saw the most petty insane stupid crap ever. The program we ran was a good one but the employees (directors etc.) were just a bunch of loonies. It got so bad I and the other sane teachers left.

Btw, The best community service jobs I have seen were at the public library. They won't give you enough hours but the environment is somewhat rational and the work is easy and interesting.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, I am such a pathetic douchebag for trying to do the actual work, but when a supervisor with a dick up his ass decides to [censored] me, I try to look for any alternative to go to school. Wow, I am such an [censored]. People like me should not be allowed to live. Go [censored] yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop overreacting. You effed up and now you want someone to bail you out, "can some one say I did community service for them? even though I didn't". Take responsiblity for yourself. Yes the supervisor overreacted but you have to admit that it was a dumb question to ask him.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it you have never worked at a Nonprofit before? I did for a handful of years and I saw the most petty insane stupid crap ever. The program we ran was a good one but the employees (directors etc.) were just a bunch of loonies. It got so bad I and the other sane teachers left.

Btw, The best community service jobs I have seen were at the public library. They won't give you enough hours but the environment is somewhat rational and the work is easy and interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment didn't seem to really address my post or be too coherent, at least regarding my own post.