Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 02:56 AM

Default king high flush...just call?

did i play this poorly on the turn and river?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed)

BB ($195.50)
UTG ($218.85)
MP ($210.50)
Hero ($162.90)
Button ($113.60)
SB ($127)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
BB folds, UTG folds, MP calls $2, Hero calls $2, Button folds, SB folds, scorpio70 checks.

Flop: ($6) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
scorpio70 checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($6) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
scorpio70 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets $4</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, MP calls $8.

River: ($30) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP bets $20</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $60</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises to $196.5</font>, Hero calls $88.90 (All-In).

Final Pot: $375.40

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP has As 5s (flush, ace high).
Hero has Ks Ts (flush, king high).
Outcome: MP wins $375.40. </font>
Old 09-07-2004, 09:28 AM

Default Re: king high flush...just call?

I would have bet the flop there for sure. Overcards and a gutshot with the button are good enough for me there, I don't want to be giving free cards on a board like that.

As it was played, a bigger raise on the turn is a good idea. The chances are you are up against another 10 if you get a call and have a chance to break him on the river with the backdoor flush.

Both of these plays may have had you take down a small unremarkable pot, but not for sure. You were in an extremely unlucky hand matchup this time.

Jon.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:08 AM

I would raise more on the turn. There is nothing else you can do on the river (someone correct me if I am wrong). The nature of this board means that someone with a T or a JT could be pushing their straight thinking their all-in would bring a split pot.

This is just a bad beat. Would you be posting this hand if you had won it? I don't think so.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:48 AM

i wouldnt have played the KT, but since you did...not really a bad play. i like the semibluff harder on the turn, but really just a bad hand match up and tough to lay a second nut down when the board run runners.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:23 PM

Its not really a semi bluff on the turn...
He made a ten high straight...
Bet the flop for sure, your hand is likely to have hit the flop better then anyone else and you also would like to know where you are at on the cheapest street. on the turn you got the best possible card you can get. I would probably either trap call or raise much bigger. On the river he bet for the first time in the hand, probably for value. When he puts you all in its a tough call, not much you can do about those - pretty player dependant. But when he moves in - if its anyone decent - they likely have the nuts on the river like that. I think before you make a raise on the river you need to ask yourself what you would do if he comes over the top and what your plan is. If your plan is to feel sick about it and make a crying call, then just call in the first place. The 60 dollar raise is nice as a straight may pay you off or possibly a lower flush or set.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:22 PM

I think I would have played it almost the same, except raise a little more on the turn. I would take the free card on the flop, as you don't have much but a gutshot and a backdoor flush draw, and a check raise would not be pleasant to call.

On the turn, I would charge him for whatever he was drawing to, as I have a pretty respectable holding, and also have outs if he has me beat.

On the river, I would definitely raise him. Calling I think would be atrocious. I would not expect him to also have backdoored into the flush.

I would call off his raise because he easily could have a lower flush, set, two pair, etc. Additionally, it is 6 handed, so villain is more likely to be aggressive with non-nut holdings.