Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 04-04-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Help with one specific time in a tournament.

Let’s say you have about T900 in a stars trny. How do you guys play level 4 when the blinds are 50/100. At the one table trnys you will often be left with about 4-5 players at this point. This is really a tough time for me. If I play a hand do I simply move in? Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated as this is the only level in the trny were I have problem making decisions.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Help with one specific time in a tournament.

I have found myself in exactly that position in the last two tourney I have played.

I had the all in or fold mindset. The way I figured it if I am going to play I would not be able to get in for a limp and a normal raise to say 300 is 1/3 of my stack so I am better off getting all my chips in now and hopefully at least picking up the blinds and perhaps getting a large stack with 3k-4k making a weak call when I have the best of it. The only problem I ran into was my KK and QQ hands didn't get called.

I can't say if this is the absolute correct thing to do because my last two finishes were poor bubble busting 4ths but I was able to stick around until the blinds reached 200/400 by playing this way when I was down to less then 10xBB.

Hotrod
Old 04-05-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Help with one specific time in a tournament.

I believe the standard wisdom, is that if your stack gets below 10BB, then you are in all-in/fold mode. Limping is useless and you don't really have enough chips to push around post flop if you hit something.

Make the other players make the tough decisions and hope for the best. At this stage, you also have to loosen up your requirements a little; the blinds will eat you up.

When I get to this spot, I look for my best shot (am I gonna get better cards than these in my next X hands?) and take it. Obviously, you won't always win, but unless your opponents are just giving their chips away, you need to try to make something happen.