Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-22-2005, 07:31 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!
Default Re: Do Online Players Going B&M Have a Lot of Tells?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, for the most part. This typically doesn't matter in the limit games, but can in the NL games if you are playing high enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO
Old 12-22-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your first few B&M visits ignore tells completely, just play solid SSHE style limit hold'em. Then once you feel comfortable start paying attention to your own body movements and expressions, as well as your opponents. You will learn a lot about yourself this way both as a player and also as an individual.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi TT,
That's an interesting comment.

I started playing poker about a year and a half ago only because a guy I know who is the author of a book about Body Language recommended it. He said as well as being a good social activity, it was great practice for reading body language which leads to understanding people in general.

I've been playing on line ever since to get ready for the time I would play live. It's taken me this long to get up to playing 2/4 and 3/6, the minimum stakes you can usually find in a live game.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
does anybody ever make any conscious effort when playing online to not show tells as a sort of practice for playing B&M

[/ QUOTE ]My guidelines for playing online
- Only use auto-function to fold. B&M, I always hold my cards until it's my turn to act, then I fold.
- Try to take the same amount of time to act. do the same thing B&M.
- Never type responses while in a hand. B&M, I don't say a word when someone's fishing for a tell.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Scott,

I was thinking more along the lines of showing emotion when playing on-line such as exclaiming something out loud or drooping your head and shoulders or openly smiling etc.

Online those things don't matter, and it would seem like it's taking some of the fun out of playing if you tried to surpress your emotions while sitting in front of a computer. But I wondered if these kinds of habits can get ingrained to some degree and backfire on you when you go to a B&M? It doesn't sound like an issue for a beginner at the mini-stake tables.

I wonder if the guys who play for mid and high stakes though, make a disciplined effort to play online with their poker faces, so they don't inadvertantly let something slip when playing live because of bad habits that didn't matter when online.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:36 PM

You are overplaying your hand, sir.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Scott,

I was thinking more along the lines of showing emotion when playing on-line such as exclaiming something out loud or drooping your head and shoulders or openly smiling etc.

Online those things don't matter, and it would seem like it's taking some of the fun out of playing if you tried to surpress your emotions while sitting in front of a computer. But I wondered if these kinds of habits can get ingrained to some degree and backfire on you when you go to a B&M? It doesn't sound like an issue for a beginner at the mini-stake tables.

I wonder if the guys who play for mid and high stakes though, make a disciplined effort to play online with their poker faces, so they don't inadvertantly let something slip when playing live because of bad habits that didn't matter when online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Never thought of it that way. I don't talk a lot to the monitor, throw crap around when I lose or get all excited when I'm ahead online...I just figure I'm getting paid to make good decisions. Haven't had a problem with tells at a B&M...at least that I know of. There is one tell I think I exhibit sometimes, and it is something I'm working on. I can usually differentiate between online and B&M, as far as how to act at the table. Maybe it is a good idea to practice your game face online.

You're right though...most of the guys at the LL B&M tables won't notice what you're doing because they're too busy watching the game or ordering drinks or whatever.

ScottieK
Old 12-23-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Don't look at your cards until it is your turn to act preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. It slows down the game and it basically draws everyone's attention to you at the point that you are most likely to expose facial/body language.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, the extra 1 or 2 seconds is devistating
Old 12-23-2005, 01:17 PM

The tells they give off are not the part of the typical online player's first trip to the cardroom that stands out the most.

What stands out is that they are typically complete stiffs who have absolutely NO CLUE about live cardroom behavior or ettiquette, let alone plain common sense or human decency. Yet they also can't stop telling everyone all about how they play online. I wish the vast majority of them would just GO BACK to playing online and stay the hell out of the cardrooms already.

al
Old 12-23-2005, 03:38 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Some do. But they may have had those tells anyways.

Generally, they tend to have a problem with the speed of the game. They aren't used to watching a game unless they have a hand in it. Someone also mentioned suppressing emotions during a hand. You don't really get that online. When they get buried early in a session, after a couple hours, it tends to seem like forever to them. 1000 hands is alot different live than online multitabling.

I also like Al's response... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

b
Old 12-23-2005, 03:43 PM

I am not speaking of general shaking, nor of trembling from general nervousness, but of all of the tells listed in Caro's book this is the one that I find to be most reliable in body language tells, and yes I do believe expert player reading almost makes up for the deficiency in BB's per hour in not being able to multi-table in a B&M. Just my thoughts
Old 12-23-2005, 03:53 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
player reads are for the most part are meaningless until the 20-40 range in LMHE IMHO. I think 99 out of 100 players are clueless, or better yet unthinking, until you reach this level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree.

So you have no reads on a passive table when someone is 3 betting the turn? You can really just put them on anything? C'mon.

The players are thinking, just not that much beyond their own hands. Playerprofiling at limits under 20-40 is pretty easy.

Betspeed is the big one. Online players don't have to worry as much about subtle betspeed tells. Live, they are very reliable.

b