Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Maybe Stupid

Party Poker (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

4 limpers to me, I raise sb folds, BB and all limpers call

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>

checked to me, I bet, only BB and UTG call

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

BB is Taglike and UTG is unknown
Old 12-17-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Maybe Stupid

Looks like a converter error.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:08 PM

Bet they'll call with lower flushes and even pairs.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:11 PM

Checking isn't too good here imo since the type of hands they will "bluff" on the river are usually limited on a 4-flush board to lower flushes which would have called you down anyway.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:23 PM

Are you planning on raising a river bet, or just calling?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you planning on raising a river bet, or just calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:38 PM

Then I think you are missing some bets. Of course raising the river, you get 3-bet by an ace and get some worse hearts to fold, so unless you really don't think you're gonna get called, just keep on betting.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:40 PM

Why would you check the turn? You are worried about the A of hearts? I would check only if you think it would cause someone to take a shot at you on the river (which you should raise). Bet out on this turn and get called by the Q, J or even 8 of hearts. With only two opponents I wouldn't fear the one card that can beat you. (Alot of players would bet the flop with the Ace in their hand).
Old 12-17-2005, 11:53 PM

It's a delicate situation. BB is probably not going to try putting on a move here with a worse flush, but he might put one more bet in with it. UTG being unknown, you don't know if he'll check/raise with the Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or worse, meaning that you pretty much have to call down if he does.

On the other hand, BB is probably going to war on the flop with a set, unless he got all FPS and decided to wait for a safe turn. He won't call another bet without the flush or a set, especially with UTG yet to act behind him. Even if he has a weak flush he might not call if you bet it, and probably won't bet the river if you don't. Again, you can't know what UTG will do.

So I guess it comes down to checking behind because UTG is an unknown, and you're afraid of a check/raise that you'd have to call down? I don't really agree with that line, because:

-BB will call a bet on the turn and maybe another on the river with any hand he'd lead the river with.
-UTG being unknown might call your turn bet without a flush at all, and might call down with a low heart.
-BB is no more likely to call a bet on the river if you check through the turn than he would be a bet on the turn--he'll still be trapped between you and UTG, and again, if he's got a good enough hand to call on the river with, he'd probably bet it. But if he has a good enough hand to do that, he'll usually call on the turn and river.

I think this is one of those situations where you just bite the bullet and bet on the turn, hoping that one or both have enough of the board to call it. And taking the chance that you get check/raised.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:31 AM

Bet/call on the turn. Weaker flushes are calling all the way. The two bets you get from them outweigh the occasional bets you might pick up on the river by checking the turn.

Bet/call on the river, unless it was raised on the turn then we are just calling.