Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-19-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Is Social Conservatism Ever Proven Right

I have this theory that social conservatives are never proven correct in their views. Instead, they're just a few years behind every legitimate change in societal mores. Examples are women's suffrage, general segregation, and interracial marriage. Each of these issues was something that social conservatives felt very strongly about at the time the issues were coming to a head, but were ultimately proven wrong about. Put another way, social conservatives have been on the trailing, and wrong, edge of every major moral/cultural issue in recent American history. I wonder if gay marriage and other issues will be any different? A social conservative might say, well all those other issues are one thing, but gay marriage is just clearly wrong, and I'll never change my mind. I wonder how many 70 and 80 year olds in America today once said they same thing about interracial marriage but now realize how wrong they were (I hope they do, at least). In fact, I'd bet that for various reasons, interracial marriage was even more offensive to many "mainstream" social conservatives than is gay marriage. So, are social and moral conservatives just perpetually behind the times, or will they one day be proven right?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Is Social Conservatism Ever Proven Right

Yesterday's "liberal" could very well be labelled a social "conservative" today.

"Examples are women's suffrage, general segregation, and interracial marriage."

What does this prove? The arguments used back then can still be used today. Only society has changed, not necessarily the arguments.

Most women should not be allowed to vote because they are too emotional and insecure. The more time passes, the more I see the truth of that statement. Take that suffragete.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, are social and moral conservatives just perpetually behind the times, or will they one day be proven right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm betting they will be proven right. Liberal lifestyles on a mass scale lead to overconsumption and excessive debt -- two things which IMO will eventually spell the downfall of the world economy. Expected timeline: 5-15 years, depending on how long it takes markets to realize that the retirement of the baby boomers is not just a technical correction.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:54 PM

What's your definition of "right" and "wrong"?