Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 12-17-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Multiway nut low, trips with pair on the board

I want to know if I pushed this business too hard. The two players in the hand with me were both idiots. Ganthur is somewhat tight preflop but a calling station postflop (18% VPIP but going to showdown nearly half the time). Mycoun is a flat out loose idiot.

http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?p...mp;hand=191562

What line, if any, would be better in situations like this? I always seem to misstep when I have trips with an open pair on the board.

For the record, I didn't realize that the river counterfeited my low (a moot point since I just got that money back).
Old 12-17-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Multiway nut low, trips with pair on the board

Generally, yes, you do have business shoving chips in the pot when you have 64.4% equity on the flop and 51.4% equity on the turn against three opponents. I'm not sure why you posted this hand. The only other consideration for this hand would be if it's better to lead out for the pot or try to check-raise someone. Your hand is a monster, get as many chips in as possible. Tough river, but like you said it doesn't (err shouldn't) matter.

Edit: FYI this is a not an example of how to play open trips in general. You also have the nut-low draw which gives you a lot of leverage to push much harder than usual.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:53 AM

Bad beat post! You played this hand fine and got unlucky.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad beat post! You played this hand magnificently and got tragically unlucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-17-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why you posted this hand. The only other consideration for this hand would be if it's better to lead out for the pot or try to check-raise someone. Your hand is a monster, get as many chips in as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all honesty, I posted this because I suck at playing open trips. I'm always lost as hell. I suppose that open trips in Omaha is a hand that looks much stronger than it actually is, because of all of the ways that someone can draw out.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:47 PM

Open trips is crap. Open trips (with top kicker) + nut low draw is a monster, especially when that trips is a 2. Do you see why?

Your only play in this hand is to jam the turn against these donks. You're up against a flush draw, weaker trips, or naked low almost all the time here. Most will pay. It's extremely unlikely that any one opponent has you beat both ways, which means the absolute worst you'll face is a 3 way pot with 25% equity. Most of the time you'll have a huge equity against the probable range of hands though.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:18 PM

Looks fine.

I might have tried a check-raise of the flop or bet out smaller. You have a monster. However, you bet out large and got called twice. Great. The other two players like their hands.

So you should bet out on the turn like you did since you still have a great hand and it's not likely to blow them both out of the water.

Someone goes all-in and you call. I think jamming question is trivial since you only have $7 left. Basically with $7 anyone with any type of hand will call this either here or on the river. I don't see it makes any difference actually. If you and your opponent both had big stacks you'd want to put in a raise here and start building a side pot. I might 1/2 - 2/3rds pot turn and then if river is okay, pot river.

Generally trips should be played cautiously with PL08 unless you have top trips and the board comes with two high cards. Otherwise, generally it's good to wait to the turn to pull the trigger. Here, as someone has pointed out you have nut low and trips so you're cooking with gas.