Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-15-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: An odd hand... JTc UTG

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically the only hands you are ahead of are hands that the BB could possibly overplayed on that flop. Hands like: KdQd,KsQs,AdJd,AhJh,AdTd,AhTh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that these are reasonable hands for him to hold so folding is probably wrong. Since he might hold AJ or AT, raising and folding to a 3-bet is also painful, as there is some risk that my flop slowplay / turn raise convinces him that I simply have a weak ace...

I'd just mention that I don't think these hands are "overplayed" by the BB on the flop. Facing a caller on a draw-heavy board and a short-stack trying to get all-in, TPGK and 2-pair look like the nuts to me.

-Eric

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right that I may be a bit too strict here when I use the word overplay. But in general, if I had a hand like KQ,AJ or AT on that board and I bet and someone raised me on the flop, I would not reraise. I dont like the idea of splashing this pot with more money when there are several turn cards that can potentially kill my hand. Like If I had KdQd on that board, any Ace,Jack,Ten,club severly damage my hand. If im counting right thats 17 cards that the hero has to dodge twice. This is one of those situations where even if the hero has the best hand on the flop he can easily be an underdog to have the best hand by the river, and if the hero is actually trailing on the flop then he could be drawing very thin. In this situation I would almost always just call the flop raise, and if the turn is a blank then I would resume an aggressive stance, becuz now the hero's hand is much stronger, since if the hero is in the lead his opponent will only have one card left to out draw him, and as we all know even an open ended straight flush draw is a mediocre hand on the turn. So becuz the heros equity stands to change significantly with the turn card if he holds a KQ,AT,AJ type hand on that board, I think its best if the hero doesnt bombard the flop with raises. If he bets and he meets resistence, he should just call and wait for a turn blank to become aggressive again since at this point he will have a much stronger hand.

So did the villain overplay his hand if he had KQ,AJ,AT? Maybe not, maybe I was being too harsh. But did he play his hand in a suboptimal way by 3 betting the flop? IMO, yes.