Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Lieberman

You know I got called a commie on this board once.

Trolls are funny.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know I got called a commie on this board once.

Trolls are funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that...That was awesome.

As to the issue at hand. I think that Lieberman is saying ungrounded critism at the EXPENSE of the commander-in-chief is detremental to the country during war time. You can see this by the quotes that UBL and Al Jazeera choose to run. There is such a thing a dialog and open discussion that the Democrats don't want to proceed like adults. They just whine and complain about not winning election and getting offended that the majority of the people who have voted do not see the world the same way.

Leiberman is trying to rally the Democratic party to being a good alternative to the Republicans. Getting them to solve problems rather than create more. I for one would welcome a good active constructive opposition party.

-Gryph
Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that Lieberman is saying ungrounded critism at the EXPENSE of the commander-in-chief is detremental to the country during war time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he referring to "ungrounded" criticism or criticism in general? And who decides whether a criticism is ungrounded or not? Alot of very smart and well-meaning people think that in terms of both fiscal and foreign policy, the Bush administration has been a complete disaster and that we are headed for some very bad times on both accounts. Should those people keep quiet?

I am also waiting with baited breath for somebody to answer my other question in the thread, about what hard evidence exists that domestic debate is actually hurting us in Iraq.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:34 PM

as a supporter of the President it sounds good to me and I hope the democrats follow suit.

however don't expect the same treatment in kind if it ever comes to that. Politics is about kicking the [censored] out of your opponents as they lay in their death bed
Old 12-13-2005, 02:47 PM

I copied the quote directly off a web site, so if he was misquoted it wasn't I (me?) who did it. It was the first web site I googled to get the quote, about which I had heard on the radio this morning.

I remember once Mario Cuomo criticizing a New York Times reporter on an interview show about the media getting something he said wrong. The reporter asked him if he thought the media gets it wrong all the time. Cuomo said no, but far too often. I agree.

The most egregious recent example I remember was a headline in the Los Angeles Times the day after one of President Bush's speeches on Iraq before the invasion. The headline said the president said Iraq was an imminent threat. In fact, the president said exactly the opposite, that it wasn't an imminent threat.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:49 PM

Seems to me the Republicans were much more affronted by Murtha's comments.

Standing up for one's beliefs doesn't impress me one iota. It's the nature of those beliefs that I care about.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 PM

FWIW, I just regoogled the quote and the first six I looked at did not have the word "critical."
Old 12-13-2005, 02:57 PM

Your quote is exactly correct, as per Senator Lieberman's own web site. Either the media got it wrong, or he didn't say exactly what the text says.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The most egregious recent example I remember was a headline in the Los Angeles Times the day after one of President Bush's speeches on Iraq before the invasion. The headline said the president said Iraqw was an imminent threat. In fact, the president said exactly the opposite, that it wasn't an imminent threat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that. My household cancelled our subscription soon thereafter. Apparently so did a couple hundred thousand others as well. LA Times has had something like a 15-20% drop in subscriptions in the last 5 years.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:50 PM

huh huh. Lehigh said Troll.