Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Pocket/SA knives

[ QUOTE ]
The kershaw is assisted-opening, which is about as close to being a legal switchblade as you can get - afaik. After a few weeks of working the action, it only takes a nudge with your thumb and the damn thing's available for use.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mine's kinda like that. It's a real cheap one I bought at work (hardware store-made in China). But with a little silicon spray, a flick of the wrist and it's open. I use it for all sorts of stuff, like opening soda cans, cutting some random thing that needs to be cut, etc. (get the FYP over with already)

[ QUOTE ]
So, uh, yeah. I dont know how to fight with a knife, and don't want to learn. The knives aren't for the brown people. That's what the damn Glock is for. If I end up having to try to use the knives to defend myself, its probably over.

[/ QUOTE ]
I only know how to use the knife a little for actual fighting. I definitely wouldn't want to pull it though. I've actually had it on me at a few concerts and the stupid search people never feel it. I swear you could be packing a marine sniper rifle and a few hand grenades and some of these people would never be the wiser.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:17 AM

Most of the things on my swiss army knife I've never used. But it has some things on it I really like:
1) Blade. Obviously useful.
2) Small philips-head screwdriver. This is great. If I owned just a little screwdriver, I would lose it, but the one on the knife I always have. Conveniently fits the little screws on the case for one of my computers. my computer case.
3) Bottle opener. 'Nuff said.
4) Corkscrew. If you are drunk and trying to figure out a bottle of wine, having this on you is nice.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:20 AM

These look pretty cool to torture terrorists with.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

These look pretty cool to torture terrorists with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure these are jack-bauer approved. if they were switchbladey and had a bottle opener i would order one right now, pretty much regardless of the price.

yasher- you carry 3 knives at once? do you live in the ghetto or something?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 AM

It's bulkier and not nearly as cool-looking, but for practicality you can't beat a leatherman. I carry a 'wave' on my belt - I think its been replaced by the 'surge' which looks about the same. You'd be surprised how often it's handy to have a pair of pliers or decent little scissors.

Leatherman also now makes folding knives with built-in screw drivers, they look pretty sweet.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:34 AM

voltron,

three links, two knives. one is a plain ol 3.5" assisted opening knife, the other is fully serrated for cutting through thick stuff (like seatbelts) if the need arises.

no ghetto for me - but i am quite paranoid, so i also carry this:

Old 12-13-2005, 01:35 AM

I have always carried a knife on me since i was in scouts. I use it to cut open boxes and bag at work, and around the house i use it to cut open any bag i need to. I hate ripping things open. It also acts as a makeshift screwdriver, and a great bottle opener. I am carrying the CRKT m16 right now, verygood strong blade. Keeps its edge very nice. http://www.countryknives.com/store/p...?sku=CRM16-04Z

Also, buck knives are very good for a beginner blade.
enjoy
Old 12-13-2005, 01:36 AM

I like a small swiss army knife for the features mentioned and also one with the tiny pen and pincers. Those pincers have probably been the most useful to me for having to pull out splinters or hairs or what have you.

The multi-tool is also good with the pliers, but they are bigger and more cumbersome to carry around. The small ones with pliers are useless. But the ones with mini scissors are useful.

And for self defense, a fixes knife is better than a folding knife for sure, but benchmade makes a very nice and light folding dagger. Good to poke eyes out with.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am sure these are jack-bauer approved. if they were switchbladey and had a bottle opener i would order one right now, pretty much regardless of the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is an automatic switchblade however I think the bottle-opener option is ultra-rare.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:15 AM

I collect/accumulate folding knives, mostly high-end production pieces with a couple semi-custom/custom pieces as well. Usually used for cutting up cardboard boxes/plastic packing/plastic straps and other random stuff, but some perform better than others in terms of blade profile/edge geometry, etc for more specific tasks.

In terms of overall construction, fit and finish, edge retention, and general design in a production (factory made) locking folding knife, Spyderco is at the top of my list at the moment, and Benchmade is a real close second. Camillus, Buck, Kershaw, Al Mar, CRKT, and a few other places make solid knives as well. All of these companies' lineups are fairly affordable, higher end pieces are generally under $150. Microtech makes awesome pieces (think that's a picture of an MT HALO auto someone posted), but they tend to be very high end limited production pieces, starting at $100+.

If you're getting a locking blade, make sure you're buying from a reputable company, because it sucks some serious ass if the blade folds down onto your fingers when the lock fails. Also recommend staying away from linerlocks (leaf spring that comes in from the side to hold the blade in place) if you're planning on heavy use for the knife.

Check out New Graham, Knifeworks, and 1sks.